Thread: Cabrio instrument cluster not working

Post Thanks / Like

Cabrio instrument cluster not working

Hi, the little lights are working - hand brake, indicators etc - but speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge, temperature, odometer, trip - and radio not turning on at all.

I think I have checked fuse - but to be sure does anyone know which fuse/s it should be - or relay?

Looked at getting another instrument cluster but it is 1e0 919 930 e which has 2 lots of wire going in and all the second hand ones seem to be 930b and only have 1 lot of wires going in.

Anyone any ideas please.

Ps 2001 golf 3.5 (facelift) cabriolet in Staffordshire.

VCDS can’t see 17 instrument cluster

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi markgraham.

A relevant wiring diagram would be my first route. I would recommend testing the relevant 'lives' to the panel (i would reckon the earth is OK as some lights are working but i would check that too as there may be multiple earth wires from the inst. panel).
    Wiring diagram would confirm the fuse(s) involved too.
    The problem may be a failure on the circuit board. Confirming the presence of live(s) to the panel would lead me to pull open the instrument panel itself and check for dry/failed solder joints on the circuit board where the live is connected.
    My guess (and it is a guess at this point) is that the main power feed to the panel is missing and therefore the panel is not able to operate the dials and display.
    2000 Golf 3 1E, 1.8 8v - ABS

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Thanks

I have the Bentley book - so looked at wiring etc.

Practical experience is often a bit quicker so was wondering if anyone had had similar and could jus state - oh yes relay x18 is the usual cause, just swap it - or ah yes that’s a rare display - the XXnnnnnnn one is just fine and just plug in the blue connector as the yellow one is just for auxiliary abs and it doesn’t have that

OTE=SlipDiff;128857]Hi markgraham.

A relevant wiring diagram would be my first route. I would recommend testing the relevant 'lives' to the panel (i would reckon the earth is OK as some lights are working but i would check that too as there may be multiple earth wires from the inst. panel).
    Wiring diagram would confirm the fuse(s) involved too.
    The problem may be a failure on the circuit board. Confirming the presence of live(s) to the panel would lead me to pull open the instrument panel itself and check for dry/failed solder joints on the circuit board where the live is connected.
    My guess (and it is a guess at this point) is that the main power feed to the panel is missing and therefore the panel is not able to operate the dials and display.
    2001 Golf Cabriolet 2.0
    Mk5 Golf 4Mottion 2.8 V6

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that a genuine VCDS with the latest software or a cheap Chinese cloned cable? Banned subjects

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.