Thread: Turbo gone after 6k miles/18 months. Anyone else???

Post Thanks / Like

Turbo gone after 6k miles/18 months. Anyone else???

2018 Polo 1.0 TSI auto.

Amber engine warning light + EPC on. Handbook said take to dealer. 3 weeks later, dealers open, looked at today
    Told turbo has gone needs replacement!!!!
    Said they had several over the last few weeks and believe it is through lack/low use!
    In 50 years of modifying high performance cars, I've never come across this.
    Surely a design fault???
    Anyone else had this???

Old codger

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

What is the mileage is it still under warranty?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    My cousin had exactly the same thing in a 2017 Seat Ibiza (DSG) with the 1.2 TSI engine, again very low mileage.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI CJZD (110PS) DSG Silver.
    1983 Austin Metro 1.3 HLE Arum White, 39,500 miles, owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies, guys. The car is under warranty and is being fixed by the VW main agent but I was interested to see how common this is as I was told that several failures had happened since the lockdown through "lack of use".

Sorry I didn't follow the newbie protocols. Been 22 years since I was a newbie on the Scooby forums so it's a while since I've been a newbie on anything!!!
    2018 Polo 1.0 TSI DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    As a further comment, we also have a 2015 Skoda Fabia with the 1.2 TSI engine, its done about 9,000 miles in 5 years, again a low mileage but touch wood has been fine, it gets used about 3 times a week, and perversely has been driven every day during lockdown! Both the vehicles I have mentioned are the 4 cyl 1.2 TSI is yours the 4 or 3 cylinder?
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI CJZD (110PS) DSG Silver.
    1983 Austin Metro 1.3 HLE Arum White, 39,500 miles, owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    Mine is the 3 cyl. Very pleased with the car - apart from the shock of the turbo, and concern it may be a recurring issue with my 4k mileage /year!!!
    2018 Polo 1.0 TSI DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it is common and will get MUCH worse due to this engines increasing widespread use. You can't extract circa 120 BHP from a tiny 1 litre 3 cylinder engine and expect it to be reliable in the real world, imagine what it's going to be like when these are abused and never serviced, they will drop like flies!... the entire concept is from the mindless panic to reduce Co2 emissions from private cars and not touch businesses and domestic levels by anymore than can be achieved by gentle cajoling as it is a vote loser and cars are a traditional soft target.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Yes it is common and will get MUCH worse due to this engines increasing widespread use. You can't extract circa 120 BHP from a tiny 1 litre 3 cylinder engine and expect it to be reliable in the real world, imagine what it's going to be like when these are abused and never serviced, they will drop like flies!... the entire concept is from the mindless panic to reduce Co2 emissions from private cars and not touch businesses and domestic levels by anymore than can be achieved by gentle cajoling as it is a vote loser and cars are a traditional soft target.
    This was not an engine malfunction but a suspected turbo design issue.

Nowadays, 120 reliable BHP from a 1 litre turbo engine is fine. 100 BHP/litre from a normally aspirated racing engine was the target from a well designed/built engine in the '60's and 70's (sadly not the 3 main bearing crank Mini engines of the day ) but they were very unreliable. Getting a reliable 400+BHP from a 2 litre Imprezza engine is common (I had 2 which I took from standard to that level - the first I sold at 70k miles and many track days when it would hit 9k rrpm when excited!)
    2018 Polo 1.0 TSI DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    It is the highly strung engine breaking down the oil and the first part to suffer is the plain bearing turbo as the cam is roller. VW's downsized engines are becoming a liability.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Turbo and actuator replaced. It was the actuator that causes the problem if they are driven too gently/intermittently it sticks. Design fault in actuator, so not overstressed engines/oil breakdown.

Garage did a good job, fully valeted and sanitised. I will be notified if there is a recall, meanwhile they suggest I go on the motorway and give it a workout. NOT what you expect to have to do with a car in 2020!!
    2018 Polo 1.0 TSI DSG