Thread: Mk7 Golf 1.4 GT DSG oil change/timing belt etc

Post Thanks / Like

Mk7 Golf 1.4 GT DSG oil change/timing belt etc

Hi
    First tecky post on here (apart from the obligatory intro one) as just purchased the Golf. First time auto owner (had BMW company auto before).

I am guessing these questions have been asked 100s of times but I cant seem to find any ref using the search so here goes....

1. In the Haynes manual it says the 7 speed DSG oil does not need changing and is 'filled for life'. It then goes on to show how to change it. My car has only 28000 miles but is 7 years old. Does it need changing?

2. Same applies to the timing belt. It suggest the cautious owner should change it every 4 years but again suggest it can last 150,000 miles.

I dont want to go throwing money at the car when it doesnt need it but I have little service history and assume neither of the above has been done.

One last thing, I noticed a slight intermittent feint whirring noise in low gears when first driving the car. After a while it seems to go away. Not sure if its DSG or maybe turbo? Is this a normal thing?

I do like car forums so expect me back on here.......
    2013 Golf GT 1.4 TSI DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    The DQ200 7 speed does not have a Mechatronic oil change interval, in fact VW say it should not be touched but many people are starting to do it, there is a drain and fill plug after all. The gear oil in the box itself is there for life but it makes very good sense to chnage it using the recommend spec oil at 100k miles.The cam belt interval according the VW is something like 120K miles, the generally accepted interval is 5 years.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    This is probably an unreasonable question to ask but would people tend to change the cambelt if only on 28000 although its 7 years old? I know a VW engineer so will see what the cost is like. Sounds like new idlers and possibly water pump as well.
    2013 Golf GT 1.4 TSI DSG

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a struggle I have been through a number of times. Do I ignore the recommendation of five years and accept the flack when one fails or go by mileage... it’s not clear.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)