Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Climatronic & music all U/S

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crasher - I'll take a good look and see if thats it. This is really starting to bug me now - should be something simple as the whole of the rest of the car works and drives fine.

Cheers John M
    2004 Passat Highline Estate 1.9 TDI-PD 131PS AWX

Post Thanks / Like
    Does your user name imply you like "darting" around in plastic classics?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

3. Likes Sam&Anne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, had 2 and fully rebuilt one of them.
    Did a Jensen Interceptor as well and also owned a really nice 1956 Bentley S1.
    But all gone now due one thing or another - lousy people mainly (partner and business)
    Hence my need to fix the Passat to stay mobile because the Saab 95 Aero has just killed the coilpack and that's 300 for a new one, mind you it has done 260,000 miles!

John M

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Does your user name imply you like "darting" around in plastic classics?
    One of my most favourite cars. I think I can recall the police using them in the late 60's.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam&Anne View Post
    I think I can recall the police using them in the late 60's.
    Yes they did. My wheel alignment chap has one on his lift in the next door unit, that he is restoring. In one of the classic mags I get, this month there is an article on the face lift prototype Jaguar experimented with. I always think it a shame that Sir Bill didn't make use of the engines bigger Majestic brother... a Daimler version of the Mk10/420G with the 4.4 would have been a beast, one of my fantasy "what if" builds I daydream about such as the 420G with the V12, they did build a prototype.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Post Thanks / Like
    Jaguar did stick a Turner 4.5 V8 into the Mk10/420G and ran the standard 4.2 six powered car alongside it at Mira. Nothing more was heard of it as it wiped the floor with the standard car and the accountants worked out the V8 was more expensive to produce than the Jag Six. One of the great what iffs of the 60's. I used to be on the board at the DLOC and this story was from one of the mechanics who worked in the experimental shop at Browns lane. He also was on the deveplopment team in the 50's for the Dart/SP 250.

I know of a couple of the 4.5 V8's having been shoehorned into the Mk2 Jag bodied car which of course had the "little" 2.5v8 in it as a standard Jag built Daimler.

Sorry if this is wandering off the VW side - I don't want to fall foul of the admins.
    John M

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember doing a brake overhaul on a British Racing Green one. It had four wheel disc brakes which if memory serves was the first motor with discs all round that I ever did. My day job was with AP so genuine Girling parts were no problem.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SP 250 View Post
    Sorry if this is wandering off the VW side - I don't want to fall foul of the admins
    Not on my watch... when I was a very young child in the mid sixties my father had a 63 Mk10 of which I have complex memories (long dysfunctional family story) but Jaguar is in my blood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well here's the latest update.

I spent the weekend pulling the cars electrics apart, as well as replacing the drivers door window cable system and fitting a tow bar.
    Even had the ex engineering director of RR/Bentley at Crewe helping me out and the car's previous service mechanic (also a mate) who donated a "good" CCM to substitute.

Net result was a fixed door window mechanism and a working tow bar, but no nearer fixing the lack of power to the CD, Radio or climatronic controls. Had every fuse & relay out and double checked, including the ones hidden up by the drivers right toes. Also the ones in the engine ECU box in the engine bay. No change on the climatronic unit - totally dead even though the hazzards the ESC and seat heaters all work. And those switches are situated around the 3 units which are dead in the central dashboard console.

Been advised to buy a new CCM unit and if that doesn't work, buy a Climatronic control and try that. Is there a way to test these before spending out?
    I was really hoping to find a fault before doing what all the Main ******** do, which is just change the expensive box of tricks till you find the one which was bad - not the most economical way to go about fixing something. This Passat in 2 weeks has now wasted more time in problem diagnosing and pulling it apart than my Saab did in 260,000 miles - it never went wrong!
    John M

Post Thanks / Like
    The central incompetence unit has nothing to do with those circuits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12