Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climatronic & music all U/S

Post Thanks / Like

Climatronic & music all U/S

Hi - I have just bought a 2004 Passat estate and within 2 days the climatronic unit, the CD player and the radio/cassette player are all dead. No power on any of them. Everything else works but the range of the remote locking is about 1foot only from the drivers door. Also the driver's door window packed up too, but I heard the cable snap and have sussed out how to fix that.

So took it to my friendly independant service garage who have looked after my Saab 95 Aero for 10 years.
    They read the OBD port and the fault codes were:-

01 Engine Management Codes - 3
    18043 Powertrain Data Bus Missing Message from A/C ECU P1635 - intermittent
    18057 Powertrain Data Bus Missing Message from ABS ECU P1649 - intermittent
    18263 Powertrain Data Bus Software Version Monitoring P1855
    03 Brake Electronics Codes 3 (But I only got 2 of them - sorry)
    18256 Please check DTC Memory of Engine ECU P1848 - intermittent
    01200 ABS Valves Supply Voltage - intermittent

We pulled all 3 units from the dash console and checked for loose connections or separated wiring at the back - all were pushed on tight and no moisture present.

I have checked all the fuses in the panel on the RH end of the dashboard. I have dropped the lower section of the drivers dash and pulled and cleaned all the relays and checked the two big (40A and 60A fuses in front of the secondary relay panel) - all good. I then re checked fuses 5, 15 and 25 and changed them for new ones just in case. Now starting to get creative. Checked in between the two bulkheads (where the battery is) and found the previous owner had removed the drainage valves from under the servo and battery & it's dry as a bone in there. The passenger footwell and under the seat is dry and the wiring to the convenience box is dry and looks like new. Running out of options for the lack of power on the centre console to be honest. So any help with ideas for this VW newby would be much appreciated.

Thanks John M
    2004 Passat Highline Estate 1.9 TDI-PD 131PS AWX

Post Thanks / Like
    Check fuse 5 has ignition live and fuses 15 and 37 have constant live. A faulty ignition switch is a possibility.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the info to try.

Fuse 5 has 0v ign off and 12.3v when ign is on.
    Fuse 15 has 11.76v on it ign off, & 0.47v ign on
    Fuse 37 has 12.05v on it ign off, & 11.7v ign on.

John M

Post Thanks / Like
    I would post all those error codes but it says I'm posting spam which is total after all the years I've been here posting error codes.

Rory is a pain in the **** he never answers PM's about forum problems. This spam posted has happened many times. The forum administrator is supposed to fix forum problems.

I'm not posting any more error codes until he fixes this.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Keith
    The email notification i received has all the info you sent on the fault codes, so thanks for that. Will talk to my local guys again. In the meantime I will go back under the passenger seat and pull out the consumer/venience unit and take it apart to see if moisture has got in there and clean dry all contacts etc if it has been wet. Will report back on it when done.
    Thanks again John M

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SP 250 View Post
    Thank you for the info to try.

Fuse 5 has 0v ign off and 12.3v when ign is on.
    Fuse 15 has 11.76v on it ign off, & 0.47v ign on
    Fuse 37 has 12.05v on it ign off, & 11.7v ign on.

John M
    Fuse 15 should be permanent live and uses the same power bus bar as fuses 12, 13, 39 and 40 so check the power at these fuses as well.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crasher

Ok all fuses 12,13,39 & 40 have zero volts ign on or ign off - we seem to be getting somewhere.

Whilst I had a power cut and couldn't work this morning, I took out the passenger seat, lifted the carpet and had a proper look at the comfort control module. It looks like a new board, pin connectors look new, but the full service sheets (I have them all going back to 2015) don't mention even having to go into the comfort module never mind replacing it. The two plugs have small amounts of green on them - cleaned off with electrical contact cleaner and left for a couple of hours to dry off before re-connecting. Also totally dry inside the big and little box, but there has been water in the footwell before and the wiring looks a little dirty but not corroded.
    Whats next?

Regards John M

Post Thanks / Like
    Belay the above message.

The airbag warning has just come on when I start the engine.
    So I checked all fuses again, and now we have 12.3v to 12.6 v on all the fuses which were reading 0v before (12, 13, 39 & 40) ign on or off, so what changed I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any more ideas guys for what I can check please?
    I have read as many posts as I can and none seem to have the same lack of power to the centre console area, but with everything else working fine.

John M

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you have a corroded wiring junction around the fuse box area such as the bolt on connectors on the BUS bar which could be a legacy of a previous water leak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast