Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airbox problems

Post Thanks / Like

Airbox problems

Hello all,

I have recently bought a 1995 Golf Cabriolet Pink Floyd edition 2.0, and I am trying to restore it back to stock ( it has had some questionable modifications ) , my main headache currently is that someone in the past removed the airbox and replaced it with a cone filter type thing. Result being that the car doesn't run too well at the moment.

No problem thinks I, I'll get on Ebay and just buy a secondhand one. There seem to be about a million different variables, which is making life difficult.

I've found an online parts catalogue, and using my VIN, tried to work out which one it is, problem is that there are still about 6 different ones shown on the exploded diagram and to be fair, I don't really know which I am looking for.

Is anyone able to look up what was fitted to my actual car using the VIN and let me have the part number please ? I'd be so grateful if anyone could help.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    If it has the later Simos injection (these always hated cone filters which ruin the Air Mass Meter) this is the air box but it will be more than you want to pay

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts...er-0ba123.html

it is extremely likely that you will also need this as aftermarket ones are a bad joke

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts...vance&dir=desc

although as this is exchange you may find this easier than sending the old one back to Germany

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts...vance&dir=desc
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

3. Thanks Old Mr Toad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, that's great ! The car is with my mechanic at the moment, having a full service and cam belt change as it only appears to have covered about 2k miles since 2007. How would I tell the injection system ?

Soon as it's back would you mind if I posted a picture of what I've got still in place on the car ?

Only reason I ask is I'm pretty certain that I have 4 pins on the MAS rather than the 3 in the diagram ? However, my MAS does indeed look like number 6 in the exploded diagram you posted.

Presumably none of this is available via VWUK ? I have a dealership just down the road

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine code would be 2E for Digifant, ADY for early Simos and AGG for later but the 2E has a flow meter rather than a mass meter and looks completely different so I would say the engine is an ADY. A characteristic of these is a ****** awful idle quality that plagued the ADY used in the 95 Golf 3 until the revised AGG came out but the saga went on for years as the problem got worse as they aged. The only cure was to fit a special revised ECU 037 906 025 Q which is now almost impossible to find and the camshaft from the AGG engine. The Air Mass Meter (AMM) is 3 wire (red/green pin 1, brown/green pin 2 and black/yellow pin 3) and the OE units were made by Hitachi, as I said though non genuine units cause nothing but problems.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

6. Thanks Old Mr Toad thanked for this post
    Likes Old Mr Toad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. As soon as it returns, I'll have a look as to what is fitted to it and try and confirm what engine it has.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi again, sorry to bombard you with questions, your help really is much appreciated.

Would you mind taking a look at this one please, I think it is the correct one ( ending in DT ) you can see in one of the pictures.

The part number is the same as the one in the link from the classic parts place you kindly sent. But I'd just like to be sure. I've bought one already that doesn't fit !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Volksw...UAAOSw2VpezoMw

Thank you so much

H

Post Thanks / Like
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/1994-12/1994, Model: Golf Cabriolet, Engine Code: 2E, 85Kw, 115PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 10/1994-12/1995, Model: Golf Cabriolet, Engine Code: ADY, 85Kw, 115PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Timing belt

Why the hell do members post using the stupid fonts/colours!!! it looks crap. Just use the default ones.

Post edited.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All

Just got home from work and checked my V5 ... the engine number is 2E 556*** .... I'm guessing that this is a 2E engine then Is this a good or a bad thing ?

So that means it's a 'digifant' ? and has a 'flow meter' rather than a mass airflow sensor ?

Do these survive better when teamed up with a crappy cone filter ?

Is that still the correct airbox I'm looking for ?

I know I'm asking so many questions, but I just want this to be right.

Any advice gratefully received
    1994 Golf Cabriolet 2.0, Petrol 2E

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, all the previous is wrong... start again. The 2E Digifant is a completely different system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Nope, all the previous is wrong... start again.
    Thats the story of my life !

Is there any chance you could see what airbox I do need then ?

I'd take a picture to show you what I have except its away at the mechanics at the moment.

Happy to PM you the VIN if that would make it easier ?
    1994 Golf Cabriolet 2.0, Petrol 2E

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast