Thread: Brake lights stuck on but only when the headlamps are on.

Post Thanks / Like

Brake lights stuck on but only when the headlamps are on.

Hello there,

I have an 2000 Golf S Estate 1.6 Auto.

I had a problem with my brake lights sticking on a couple of years ago. I replaced the brake light switch and I thought I'd solved the problem. My brake lights now work as normal, as long as the headlamps are not in use. When I switch the headlamps on the brake lights come on and stay on.

I remember reading somewhere that one has to be careful when installing a new brake light switch as if you press the plunger down before installation it sets it at a level? Is there any truth to this? If there is, I may have installed it incorrectly the first time.

Another thing I've noticed is that when I press the brake pedal with the headlamps off, I can hear a click in the transmission, I'm assuming this is telling the brakes to switch on? When I turn the headlamps on, I press the brakes, there is no click.

I'm hoping that I've just installed the brake light switch incorrectly.

One other thing I noticed. When the brakes are pressed and the headlamps off, the two light bulbs (The bigger more bulbous one, and the smaller one below it) at the top of the light cluster switch on, on the driver rear side. But only the top bulb (The bigger more bulbous one) turns on on the passenger side rear, the one below it stays off. I switch these bulbs around and the opposite happened, so I know both bulbs work.

Sorry for so much text but I'm pulling my hair out with it now. I've read through so many posts and I can't find anything as precise as the problem I have.

Thank you for reading,

Mark.
    Last edited by Microcuts; 15-06-20 at 22:34.
    2000 Golf S Estate 1.6, Petrol, Auto

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some odd earthing issues going on there, have you replaced any rear light bulbs recently?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been off the road for about a year, but before I SORNed it I do remember replacing a rear light bulb. The problem was there before I SORNed it as well. Could the bulbs be the problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a look at the bulb base and where it goes into... a single filament 582 bulb in a dual contact 580 fitting will cause all sorts of problems.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for your reply.

Upon checking the bulb that I had replaced, I found that it is a single filament bulb.

I have ordered some new, dual contact fittings.

Once again, thank you for your reply, totally appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a common one.

7. Thanks Microcuts thanked for this post