Thread: golf mk 7 front brake discs

Post Thanks / Like

golf mk 7 front brake discs

I had been feeling some brake vibration feedback on my Golf when applying the brakes, took it to the dealers and the discs and pads were replaced.

I saw one of the removed discs that had left for me to look at.

It does appear that the inside of the disc had been only contacted very lightly and is badly corroded, very different to the other side, which looks as one might expect, I did think that both sides of the caliper would operate the pads equally but they don't appear to have been doing that, is this normal?

Does this indicate that the gap between the disc and the pads is not equal on both sides. Probably more importantly am I getting the full braking? Is there a safety issue here? If the braking continues to be on one side could this lead to the disc deforming?

Any information will be appreciated.
    Uncle T

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

That isn't an easy question to answer on a forum.

If you took it into a dealer to have the discs and pads replaced they should know what they are doing.

As you say you looked at the old disc and it hasn't been contacting on the inside, that could be a sticking caliper but the dealer should have checked that when they replaced the discs and pads.

Did they use a DTI to check for any run out, you wouldn't really know as your not allowed into the workshop its the health and safety crap.

You may have new discs on but if the hub is distorted then to will still get disc run out with a DTI.

Take it back for more investigation as I assume you paid for this job.

Crasher will make a comment when he reads this thread.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    We see this a lot, I actually found a few seconds to work on my own car last week and I noticed the back of both front discs were heavily corroded and they are only two years old. Low mileage cars are the worst affected but in the future this will become an enormous problem on electric cars as to try and get to the shops and back without recharging people will use regenerative braking and at three years old they will fail the MOT on brake performance due to rotten brake discs... I can see drum brakes making a comeback.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks for all of your comments, they are much appreciated. I will be talking to the dealer as to see what other work was done as part of the disc and pad replacement procedure. I will also be keeping a close eye on the discs to check that both pads are contacting the disc.
    2017 Golf SE Nav 1.4 TSI