Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Golf Start/stop no longer working

Post Thanks / Like

2012 Golf Start/stop no longer working

Hi
    The start/stop no longer works on my wifes Golf, even after a long run.
    The problem seems to have started after I used it to jump start our daughters car. I did the normal connection - positive to positive, negative to negative.
    I now understand I should have used the towing eye or engine block as a connection.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Cliff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffg View Post
    Hi
    The start/stop no longer works on my wifes Golf, even after a long run.
    The problem seems to have started after I used it to jump start our daughters car. I did the normal connection - positive to positive, negative to negative.
    I now understand I should have used the towing eye or engine block as a connection.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Cliff
    Leave it off.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent news that it is not working .

4. Likes Sam&Anne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There'll be many many reasons why start/stop operation will not be authorised - such as battery state of health, charge current, ambient temperature, even having the AC on can prevent it (to maintain the desired climate in the passenger compartment)

It all depends if it bothers you (i suspect @Gazwould and @Sam&Anne have no qualms ).

Battery health is generally the first thing I'd look into.
    If you're bothered, i'd do a battery charge test (using a charger with current display or use an ampclamp to check current draw at 1 min, 30 mins and 60 mins). If battery is ok, you're in the realms of ECU diagnosis, and finding the parameter(s) that is/are preventing S/S.
    2000 Golf 3 1E, 1.8 8v - AAM

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

That isn't an easy question to answer on a forum.

How long is a piece of string.

As suggested check the battery.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Thread moved to the correct section.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    The battery only has to go slightly below par and the stop start will fail. I expect the battery is the original and so with the scenario it would seem likely. You MUST use a suitable battery which will be AGM. As a side note NEVER EVER jump start a modern car, you can cause all sorts of damage.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not a question of liking it or not , in my opinion SS causes mechanical carnage .

9. Likes Crasher, Sam&Anne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stop start is a box ticking political exercise to reduce tailpipe emissions and like electric cars, it just moves the problem elsewhere but it fulfils the 5 year plan all politics seem to follow... keep the screaming heads quiet so you can get on running an economy.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

11. Likes Sam&Anne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for the battery being the cause - was driving a Tiguan for a while and stop start was not working, did not think much of it at the time, battery eventually needed replacement, and after replacement, hey presto, start stop started working again.
    2018 Passat B8 R-Line 2.0 162KW, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Question is I'm sure the battery will carry on normally starting the car for some time , just that it isn't optimal for SS to be operable .

Hmmm, replacing batteries before their time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast