Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: severe brake disk errosion

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say it is more inherent with the chemical composition of cast iron and is unavoidable as the only alternative is carbon ceramic and these are insanely expensive due to how difficult it is to make them. Lotus experimented with aluminium discs on the Elise 1 but they were unreliable. This WILL have to be addressed soon as rusty discs are going to become the nadir of the electric car ownership experience... there is hope though https://metalmatrixinnovations.com . Going back to drums would be a solution but the the marketing department’s and the vast majority of car buyers this is unacceptable; undeservingly so but understandable as since the 50’ we have had it “drummed” into us that discs are superior.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    I know discs can have surface rust after washing a car but a quick drive and using the brakes the rust disappears.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but what if it isn’t driven for 2 weeks each time and then driven gently, the rust starts to get under the surface and then only a really hard drive will remove it. Eventually it gets so deep it starts to lift the surface and as rust has a lower coefficient of friction than bare iron, efficiency drops.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes but it depends where the car was washed at a car wash you would drive it away which will clear the surface rust or at home.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12