Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW MK 6 Golf 2.0 TDI key barrel problems

Post Thanks / Like

VW MK 6 Golf 2.0 TDI key barrel problems

Hi there , my second post - my daughter has an 09 Golf mk 6 2.0 TDI . Tidy thing ,done 182,000 miles , so going it a bit !!!

She had the key go stiff in the barrel ,and actually turn past the spring load position ,when the steering lock engaged and would not release.

It was towed into a garage where the man told her it would cost up to a grand to fix !! She works in care so isnt on a great wage , so I had it way from there (with the mans voice ringing in my ears about how you'll never fix it with second hand etc )

Now after putting switch cleaner in the barrell and cleaning it ,it managed to work fine for day or two but has gone stiff again (steering locks working ok ) and it either wont start or when you do get it to ,it wont turn off !!

I have read quite few posts on here but most relate to earlier models or years . I had intended fitting second hand barrell and key , swapping the fob off the old one to go on the replacement metal key . Trouble is ,nearly all breakers only ever have one key ! Not suprising as the car gets scrapped /towed with just the one ,unless you are lucky !

Have read about the fact you need the same barrel number as the one you remove ,and some say coding may be required , BUT , if the aerial reader is in the outer ring and the fob is YOUR original , what else could there be to code ?
    Possibly worth pulling apart like in this video?

Thanks folks

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends how mechanically minded you are for dismantling the ignition switch?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

3. Thanks Dubby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    It depends how mechanically minded you are for dismantling the ignition switch?
    Hi Keith , thanks ,
    Oh I am forever getting things apart . If the wholethings fooked anyway then whats the harm in carefully seeing whats going on !!
    At the minute the key will turn and meet the spring before resting but it will not turn off enough to get the key out !!

I stalled it yesterday and took off the positive lead . I am about to remove the wheel and will tape the conductive ring in its originl position after making sure I am grounded before dissconnecting the airbag !!
    It looks like the security bolts will be interesting but I have a dremmel and a cable drive (I doubt it will work , or failing that a good sharp punch to get them moving !!
    Then onto the stalks and the barrel itself , all whilst consuming copious amounts of Earl Grey !
    Daughter: 09 plate Golf 2.0 TDI-CR
    57 plate Passat Saloon Engine????

Post Thanks / Like
    Well its in my hand !! The security bolts were a bit of a rascal but got there in the end with a sharp punch !!
    I have the key end off the barrel , with the hair clip !!!! (will take some pics later )
    Do the learned peeps know if the barrel that is sold by Topran , would be ok if the key part was good?? Its the same part number !
    https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/topran/7912162?gshp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsf-kqp6l6gIVm-vtCh2zoQwVEAYYASABEgLJhfD_BwE

Post Thanks / Like
    Having had it on the bench for the last hour or 2 ,I am reminded of a statement by someone I cant recall on here that said you should not activate the steering lock in the barrel when its out of the column ??
    I couldnt get the key to turn back all the way -hence it wouldnt come out of the slot !!
    but as soon as I took the outer ring off with the hair clip ,I decided to pull the barrel apart and clean it !
    The plastic circlip came out and for some reason I put the screwdriver into the slot and turned it to the key out position and the steering lock shot out into lock position and now I cant get any more of it out and cant get the lock to come off either !!

I expect its fubared , so will get a replacement barrell and switch for around 48 and use the key on that .

Am I right in saying you shouldnt activate the lock when its out of its final position?? cant see why thats the case????

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have had a sleep on it (I always do my best thinking asleep!!)
    I am a bit annoyed I didnt strip the key barrel housing (minus the key tumbler and black outer ring , before I decided to insert the screwdriver and turn it to the left ,effectively triggering the sterring lock pin ! I suppose I had done that because when it was on the car the key would not come out of its tumbler . Having removed the tumbler ,I was curious to see if the lock worked !!! Lol

NOW ,am I right that once this gets actioned BEFORE its in its final home on the column , you are basically screwed to get it undone or released again???
    Anyway , I have ordered a barrel and switch

https://justgermanparts.co.uk/steeri...51b-5608-p.asp

Lets hope it will solve the issues for me

Post Thanks / Like
    I rang the kind gent at German Car Parts and he said how it has a double lock that will not release if actioned outside the steering column mount !
    I did wonder if it was because the peg shot out too far and then wouldnt return , but is it an antitheft device ? Ie if you removed it with the lock engaged then it will not release when refitted?
    I cant get my head around whats actually happening there !

Post Thanks / Like
    I can talk to myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubby View Post
    I can talk to myself
    I read every post on here, I've given you my comment.

Do you expect an instant solution to every problem?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    I read every post on here, I've given you my comment.

Do you expect an instant solution to every problem?
    My apologies Keith . I was trying to make fun of myself actually !! Not intending to take the mickey , sorry !!

I am probably a bit stressed over the steering lock thing !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast