Thread: Jurky reverse on cold start

Post Thanks / Like

Jurky reverse on cold start

hi peeps. On my 2017 Sharan with 64k on the clock I notice when the car is cold, say you start in morning and put in reverse and lift auto pedal fully it jerks. If you do same but lift pedal slowly its fine and also fine on warm car.

What could it be, clutch?

Previous owner used to use car with possible trailer or caravan as he had a tow bar specifically installed aftermarket.
    2017 Sharan SEL BMT 2.0 TDI-CR 184PS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey kids View Post
    hi peeps. On my 2017 Sharan with 64k on the clock I notice when the car is cold, say you start in morning and put in reverse and lift auto pedal fully it jerks. If you do same but lift pedal slowly its fine and also fine on warm car.

What could it be, clutch?
    That isn't a good description of what is happening.

lift auto pedal fully it jerks. If you do same but lift pedal slowly its fine

auto pedal?

It could be the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) that is the worst component ever fitted to VAG engines.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry if it wasn't a good description. I'll try again..
    I said auto pedal as it's an auto. So when you switch to reverse on cold start and you lift the pedal fully there's an initial **** as it starts to go backwards. However if you lift the pedal slowly and not remove your foot it doesn't do it.
    Once warm if the foot if lifted fully it won't ****.
    I hope that is better and hope you can help ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know why there's asterisks when I wrote j e r k

Post Thanks / Like
    When you say lift the auto pedal, do you mean taking your foot off the footbrake or pressing the accelerator pedal? Generally with the DSG gearbox the software monitors the amount of footbrake pedal pressure, when it detects a reduction in pressure it will start to engage the clutch. Cold engines usually idle faster until warmed up. I personally tend to regard the release of the footbrake as having a similar effect to letting the clutch pedal up on a manual - doing it gradually will generally result in a smoother start, it also helps to let the vehicle just start moving before applying any throttle.
    When you get this jerkiness in reverse are you reversing up a slope?

If on the other hand you are getting a **** when selecting reverse using the gear selection level that could indicate that the clutch isn't fully disengaged, but I would have thought selecting a forward gear would also be jerky too.

Has the DSG gearbox been serviced, it should have an oil and filter change every 40,000 miles, if it hasn't I would suggest having that done first.

I tow with my Touran, which has done 92,000 miles, and the DSG is fine. The DSG mechatronic unit makes very quick and clean gearchanges - its less likely to slip or abuse the clutch than a human driver as it matches the revs to the speed.
    2013 Touran SE 2.0 TDI-CR (CFHC - D91) DSG (PBF -G1A) Acapulco Blue Metallic, Retro Fit Front Fog lights, Westfalia Detachable Towbar
    2015 Skoda Fabia SE (Mk3) 1.2 TSI CJZD (110PS) DSG Silver.
    1983 Austin Metro 1.3 HLE Arum White, 39,500 miles, owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Taking foot off foot brake and not pressing accelerator.
    Car not on hill. Dsg stamped as having had service at 40k at main dealer.
    Imagine you have a manual car and you lift the clutch quick without pressing accelerator but not quick enough to stall the car and you feel it jerking. Its like that, but just one initial j erk and its fine.

For this reason I always try to lift foot slowly when on cold start. I just wondered if this was common amongst other peoples sharans.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a symptom of a faulty DQ250 clutch pack but you could ask for the basic settings to be done on ODIS to see if that helps. To be honest I don't know why they used the DQ250 in that, it just isn't up to the job, if it was a four wheel drive version it would have a DQ500 which is actually overkill as a DQ350 would suffice.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds expensive. Sounds like a new clutch eventually.
    How many miles till a new clutch is required generally? And how much does it typically cost etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the DQ250, which is widely used across VAG passenger cars, we usually see at least 100K miles but in cases where they have had a hard life, much less but never that low. On an R32 we did not long ago, that had 130K on it BUT had been unpleasant to drive for a very long time.. The repair kit 02E 398 029 C is a not unreasonable 454.18 but that does not included the dual mass flywheel which it is advisable to change and these are 771.59. On top of this you have at least a full days labour so 600 ish and then a huge pile of nuts and bolts which can really add up and then fluid and filter so a 2K job typically. It is a quite involved job to change, there is some very careful circlip thickness calculation and everything must be spotless as it goes back together.

Cover plate removed

Clutch pack removed

New clutch pack

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)