Thread: Replacement Battery for T3 Transporter

Post Thanks / Like

Replacement Battery for T3 Transporter

I have a 1983 (C reg) Transporter T3, 1.9L Petrol & with the camper sat about doing diddly-squat for about the last 18 months, other trips for an MOT. I've had to charge up the battery up twice in the last 6 months, but it's obvious that it's had it.

I appreciate I can get a 'replacement' battery from the local parts shop, but I get the impression that a previous owner has simply gotten a battery that fits into the cubby hole under the drivers seat. I'm therefore hoping that someone can give me a step to a hint about the 'correct battery. Currently fitted is a 'Powerstart' Type P027 12v 60AH - 540 CCA

Any help would be appreciated, as my local parts store has had a tendency to simply give me the cheapest battery that meets the spec, rather than the correctly sized / shaped one for the vehicle!
    2015 Mk7 Golf SE BlueMotion Estate 1.6L TDI-CR 110PS, Night Blue (LH5X)
    Sons: 58 plate Golf 1.4, Petrol
    1983 Transporter T3 1.9
    http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...pshsy4he27.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi M, with older vehicles I always try to fit the most powerful battery I can that will fit in the compartment.
    I've got a 2.1 engine and managed to fit a 77AH 760CCA Exide premium behind the driver's seat. Is that where your battery is located?

Post Thanks / Like
    PS, you wouldn't need to go that big. Mine's a syncro and has the 90A alternator so it suits a bigger battery. If I were you I'd still go a bit bigger than 540CCA though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Taking the largest under seat battery number now listed by VW 000 915 105 DA, a 64AH/380A, the UK BBMS number is 063 so my personal preference would be the https://www.yuasa.co.uk/ybx5063.html which is stocked by TPS centres.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Taking the largest under seat battery number now listed by VW 000 915 105 DA, a 64AH/380A, the UK BBMS number is 063 so my personal preference would be the https://www.yuasa.co.uk/ybx5063.html which is stocked by TPS centres.

I'm no expert but dropping to 52Ah seems like too big a downgrade to me
    1990 T3 Syncro 2.1i (DJ)
    2008 Golf mk5 2.0 SDI

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but it is the largest listed for the vehicle. Over the years I have seen a few oversize batteries short out on the seat base in T3’s.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)