Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RH Door won't close and wing mirror issues...

Post Thanks / Like

RH Door won't close and wing mirror issues...

Hi
    first time posting here. Please be gentle!

My partner has a 2014 Beetle 1.6 TDI hard top. It failed its controle technique (equivalent of MOT) due to the foglights being out of action (both of the back lights, so I assume a fuse) and the passenger side mirror not being able to fold automatically (after someone cycled into it).

I removed the door panel to get access to the side mirror retaining bolt and duly removed the side mirror. no trauma there (although interestingly the pop fasteners remained in the door frame and were challenging to pop out).

I have not been able to dismantle the whole mirror assembly in order to repair the motor and folding assembly. My guess is that either some plastic bit has snapped (in which case I can make another) or the assembly has come off a spring mount. I've not been able to find an exploded diagramme to see how it is put together. I can hear the locking mechanism in that door clunk when I use the plip key; if that is useful diagnostically.

Any hints on this? Are these throw away items or is there a repair/disassembly method?

It's the model variant with the indicator light along the whole back side of the wing-mirror cover.

More worrying however, is that when I put back the door panel (which was a job in itself, it really didn't like fitting back in snuggly and one of the screws in the door handle flat refused to rethread itself. i had to retap the hole in the end.) the car door refuses to latch closed. _all_ the electric connections are fine up to their sockets in the door and I have not actually touched the door other than to remove the panel (I didn't need to remove the door release or the window switch - nothing under tension as I just rested the panel against the door for a few minutes). The _only_ electric clip I undid was the cable from the door to the wing mirror. Came out easily with no tension/yanking.

when the door is pushed closed the car recognises the position and the windows close. but the lock never actually latches. So it is undrivable.

Any hints on this second problem would save a lot of severe blushes on my part ...

tia
    Justin
    Last edited by jpadie; 03-07-20 at 11:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Check all fuses.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

3. Dislikes adamscarborough disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My apologies. I didn't know this was a chargeable forum.

I will drop the thread and take it elsewhere.

Many thanks for the reply though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpadie View Post
    My apologies. I didn't know this was a chargeable forum.

I will drop the thread and take it elsewhere.
    This isn't a chargeable forum every problem is replied to providing they make an intro.

Obviously you want a free fix and we never see you again!!!

I can delete you profile no problem if that's what you want?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm confused. I am a technology lawyer, not a mechanic or car enthusiast. So no, I am unlikely to be a forum regular helping others solve problems. I don't even own a VW. But if a forum is helpful and I am asked to repair another VW or this one again, I would come back. And in that way help ad-revenue I guess.

Outside of my main work, I am an expert in coding in both interpreted and compiled languages, in electronics, embedded systems and micro-electronics. And somewhat expert in metabolic diseases and nephrology. I help out in online forums on all of these subjects and never ask for nor expect people asking for help to stick around once they have got what they want. I give my time without condition; and I continue to help in those forums because I enjoy helping others and solving problems unrelated to my main work.

When I ask questions about my cars (Toyota and Renault) the forums there follow this premise. People are there and the regulars help because they want to; and have no expectations of longevity of others or whatever.

I am confused that this forum may somehow be different; and so I apologise for wasting any reader's time as yes, I am asking for others to share their expertise without the expectation of anything other than gratitude. Whilst of course I can ask VW my partner cannot afford it, even were there a VW garage nearby. Garage fees in France (where we are), even with independents, are ridiculously high.

I repeat, in any case, my apology and of course you should delete my profile if my participation is of no value to this forum.

thanks again
    Justin
    2014 Beetle 1.6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Justin
    If you are still around I have sent you a PM.
    Regards
    Sam.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

8. Thanks Crasher thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you.
    Email on the way.
    Regards
    Sam.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.

10. Thanks Crasher thanked for this post
    Likes adamscarborough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpadie View Post
    So no, I am unlikely to be a forum regular helping others solve problems. I don't even own a VW. But if a forum is helpful and I am asked to repair another VW or this one again, I would come back.
    If you don't own a VW why does your car spec say 2014 Beetle 1.6 TDI-CR?

Post Thanks / Like
    because that is the make and model of the car about which my question was.

never mind - this forum is far too hostile. Usually my interactions with expert forums are an absolute pleasure. This is not.

My suggestion is that you leave this chain up and perhaps pin it so that other visitors can see how they may be treated before deciding whether to invest time here.

Thank you (all) for your engagement to date.
    2014 Beetle 1.6 TDI-CR

13. Thanks Crasher thanked for this post
    Likes Crasher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting email Justin, thanks for that.
    Sorry your experience here wasn't what you expected but I hope my reply has enlightened you somewhat.
    Take care and I hope you will get your VW issues sorted.
    Regards
    Sam.

15. Thanks Crasher thanked for this post
    Likes Crasher liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast