Thread: Mk1 Golf very heavy steering.

Post Thanks / Like

Mk1 Golf very heavy steering.

Hi all....my son in law has a mk1 Golf soft top....think its around 1990.

The steering is very very heavy....he doesn't have a manual for it....its been suggested it needs a new steering rack....no play in it.

He bought the care 6 months ago and has only just started to use it....before that it had little use.

Is there anywhere the steering rack needs to be lubricated or topped up with oil.

I know its got no PAS but this is still stiffer than it should be...I drive a 50 year old landrover that has lighter steering.

Any ideas guys.
    1998-99 S reg Transporter T4 1.9 TD
    1972 Beetle 1300

Post Thanks / Like
    Heavy steering comes as standard with the Golf 1, made MUCH worse by 185 or wider tyres. It has always been a huge problem with the car and on a Scirocco 2 (same base as a Golf 1) project I have nearly finished for a customer, it was imperative that it had power steering. This was never offered on the right hand drive platform, even right up until the end in South Africa so I had to adapt a Toyota rack, make huge bulkhead modifications, Golf 2 power steering pump parts and custom hoses... in all an extraordinarily involved and complex job I have still not yet perfected.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    I had two , but they have given me Popeye arms .

Post Thanks / Like
    OK guys...not good news so it looks like it maynot be faulty....but just suffer heavy steering like them all.

What is the std size of tyre please if anybody knows.
    1972 Beetle 1300

Post Thanks / Like
    Typically it would have come with 6x14 alloys or steels and 185/60 HR14 tyres BUT this is when things went badly wrong, then at the end they were fired with 6x15’s with 185/55 15’s and these tyres are expensive so people fit 195/50 15. The Golf 1 in RHD did have the occasional habit of the steering rack body mount cracking and the whole lot comes away with potentially lethal results and 195’s certainly seem to encourage this. When I bought my 83 GTI tin top in 1992 it came with the factory 5.5x13’s with 175/70 HR 13’s (Pirelli CN36 from the factory) and Mrs Crasher (who being from upt norf isn’t a weak lass) could barley drive it and her comments about the brakes were unprintable. The brakes are an easy fix, 256 front discs, rear discs and a 9” Golf 2 servo but I also fitted 7x15’s with 195/50 and manoeuvring made me swear. There have been a few attempts at hydraulic power steering and I have done a few but they are seriously hard work. Some companies have developed electric kits using Vauxhall parts but to me they feel awful. The one I have nearly finished will be my next to last with my own Golf 1 that I still have being the next and final one. Seriously, if someone offered me 10k I would not do another.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou Crasher....very usful info....I will pass it all on.

How on earth could they sell a car with such a poor steering setup.
    1972 Beetle 1300

Post Thanks / Like
    In the 70’s it was the norm, many were worse.