Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk5 Golf 1.6fsi (BLF) issues

Post Thanks / Like

Mk5 Golf 1.6fsi (BLF) issues

Hi, i'm looking for some info on a newly purchased problem🤣, I have a mk5 which when it reaches running temp splutters and stops, it will start if you turn it over for a very long time or wait around 45mins. The car runs spot on when running. The fault showing was a hp fuel pump problem, the hp pump and lift pump were swopped out for secondhand ones but it's still the same. I have noticed with a volt meter on at the tank pump it primes and cranks at 12v runs at between 4 & 5v, then when the car warms up the voltage will start to rise at the pump to 12.4 v ish then the car will start to miss slightly then after another couple of mins the voltage will increase again from 4-5v to 12v for around 10seconds and the car will splutter and stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you check the HP fuel pump follower and the cam lobe for wear?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi yes the original lifter was swopped out as the old one was worn through, and the lobe checked, although this was done by a garage before i purchased it, i'm assuming the only time the pump should be running 12v is if it's priming or cranking.

Post Thanks / Like
    The lift pump should run with the engine.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the pump runs all the time and at the correct voltage until the car warms up, then it seems like the fuel stops getting through although the pump is still running, then it starts to run up at the cranking voltage but the car stops running and will not start until it cools down.

Post Thanks / Like
    When it cuts out, release the fuel filler cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crasher but that was the first thing i tried. I have changed the fuel filter and checked that the lift pump is delivering fuel and also that the hp pump is, there was a lot of pressure in the fuel at the filter when i removed the pipe, it seems like it isn't getting to the engine from the hp pump, and that it is calling for fuel which causes the lift pump to rise to 12v before the car stops, i left the key on and ran down the battery and now have lots of dash lights on and the cooling fan runs when the ignition is on.
    It has also no developed a misfire if/when you can get it to start. I have borrowed a code reader so will try seeing what codes are up now.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had the car plugged in and it's showing 2 codes 01314 and P0522, but the diagnostic machine was unable to connect to the ECM, we tried a second machine and this was also the same message which came up. I now only have voltage on the lift pump when priming and no voltage when cranking.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also wondering if i source another ecu could i fit that and the try running a scan without having to get it coded to the vehicle, then if it can communicate with the diagnostics could possibly diagnose if it's an ecu problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast