Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonnet Lever Broken 2016 Passat

Post Thanks / Like

Bonnet Lever Broken 2016 Passat

Hi, I pulled the lever today and felt something give.
    Want to have a go at repairing but can't see how I'd get the bonnet open.
    Can anyone help or point in the direction of a bid, seen plenty for other models but not this one.
    Sods law this happens the day I'm putting her up for sale.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Coincidence? Or Russian interference maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by aquiece27 View Post
    Hi, I pulled the lever today and felt something give.
    Want to have a go at repairing but can't see how I'd get the bonnet open.
    Can anyone help or point in the direction of a bid, seen plenty for other models but not this one.
    Sods law this happens the day I'm putting her up for sale.

Thanks in advance.
    Just coincidence surely! Similar thing happened to our 2016 Golf SV yesterday.
    I took our Golf to the local VW garage for a scheduled service. Half an hour after I left it there, the service manager rang me: “We have an issue.....”. He said they’d come to release the bonnet, and felt something give, and now couldn’t open the bonnet.
    So the service was abandoned.
    They have told me that the only way they can open the bonnet is to break in through the front grille. They say they will then have to replace the grille, cable, and catch. They wanted me to rebook the car in for two days to do this and the service.
    And who is paying?
    To be fair on them, after a bit of harrumphing, they agreed that they would pay for the extras, and I just pay the service fee I was expecting - plus a nominal £10 for courtesy car for two days. Our car was bought new from them, and has always been serviced by them.

Good luck with yours!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that's amazing, what a coincidence!

Crazy they want to replace the whole grille though, there's got to be an easier way.

Mines not due a service for quite a while yet so I guess I'm buggered here!

Glad to hear you managed to get your sorted though without too much hassle

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Crasher may give you some tips on your 2016 Passat R-Line Estate.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Keith, sorry didn't realise I posted in the wrong place and it's a bit of an emergency so was in a hurry.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Still no joy, I would have thought many other vw owners have experienced this at some point?

The video above shows a guy successfully removing the wheel to get to the cable, anyone tried this on a passat?

I'm gonna give it a go and will let you know how I get on.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the cable has snapped at the lock you have to go in through the grill. The complete cable is £12, if they put a few more Euro’s into its design and construction, this would not happen.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 – 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    If the cable has snapped at the lock you have to go in through the grill. The complete cable is £12, if they put a few more Euro’s into its design and construction, this would not happen.
    I agree, you'd think they'd have enclosed the cable a bit better than this.

I've still not attempted this but I'll be have a go when I get an hour or 3, I will post up on here a solution aswell hopefully (fingers crossed)

If I do end up having to destroy the grill, what am I looking for once inside the grill? Is access gained to the actual cable or do I have to undo the latch bolts?

I've seen this is what some MK7 golf owners have done but not many B8 passat examples about.

Cheers
    2016 Passat R-Line Estate 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    So I've been trying the belly pan off and reaching up for the cable method but with no joy.

I've managed to source a new grill as a back up option but before I cut the old one up and break in I could really do with some advice.

When the grill is off will I have access or is there further break in required?

By the way if anyone is local to Cannock or within distance for me to drive to and has experience doing this without damaging, I'd happily pay you to do it!! Lol

Thanks in advance.
    2016 Passat R-Line Estate 2.0 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    You need the car right up in the air on a lift to do this from below.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 – 13 April 1956)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast