Thread: Sparkplugs

Post Thanks / Like

Sparkplugs

Hi, I got my 2015 Polo 1.2 serviced in a non Volkswagen garage.

Soon after the service my car was “chugging”. Brought it to another garage where they discovered “a fault caused by under torquing of spark plug in cylinder 4” which then resulted in needing to replace all 4 spark plugs and cylinder 4’s ignition coil. When I spoke to the initial garage they said they only check spark plug one and not all 4 during a service as they are lifelong spark plugs and did not need to be replaced based on the KM they were replaced at (which I understand) I am just wondering if it is standard practice to only check one spark plug and not all 4?

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, only what I've added from this thread.

You should find a good garage that can torque spark plugs up?

That's total crap spark plugs aren't lifelong they need to be changed at the correct service interval. Else when you decide to change them they won't come out easily.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    The plugs can have up to a 60000km service life. Taking out a plug and refitting it to the correct torque (which can be as much as 35Nm but usually 30Nm) can make it feel over torqued when trying to remove it again, this happens. When we replace the plugs on cars with coil on plug coil packs we always warn the customer that a coil pack can fail a few days later and the only way to prevent this is to fit new coil packs each time you take the pack off, never mind remove the plug. New plugs used with old packs MUST have a smear of special grease applied to the insulator body to prevent the rubber sticking to the ceramic which then causes damage to the pack as you attempt to remove it.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Crasher.

Without wishing to hijack this topic, what is the 'Special Grease' ?

Regards and Thanks.
    2013 Polo 6R Match Edition 1.2, CGPB, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    VAG part number G 052 565 A1 and a special silicone grease that is 34.75 for a 20 gram tube.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

6. Thanks Brian7NS thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Copper grease on spark plug threads as it will stand high temperatures.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    The silicone grease is used on the ceramic insulation body to prevent the rubber of the coil pack from sticking to the ceramic. Using Copper grease or it’s modern version Aluminium paste is a contentious subject as it will move the temperature range of the plugs due to the improved conductivity, especially into an Aluminium head, but for years people have done it on air cooled engines to try and prevent plugs galling their threads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Long gone are the days of cleaning and gapping plugs every 5,000 miles then!

I was amazed when I discovered how long plugs last now on my return to a petrol car after years of diesels

Chris
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Now that VW have ceased production of the Golf SV, and believe cars should only come in 50 shades of grey, I have ordered a Race Blue Skoda Karoq Sportline as a replacement!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse1998 View Post
    Hi, I got my 2015 Polo 1.2 serviced in a non Volkswagen garage.

Soon after the service my car was “chugging”. Brought it to another garage where they discovered “a fault caused by under torquing of spark plug in cylinder 4” which then resulted in needing to replace all 4 spark plugs and cylinder 4’s ignition coil. When I spoke to the initial garage they said they only check spark plug one and not all 4 during a service as they are lifelong spark plugs and did not need to be replaced based on the KM they were replaced at (which I understand) I am just wondering if it is standard practice to only check one spark plug and not all 4?
    what a crock of garbage. Never visit them again and tell everyone you know that they are rubbish.
    2000 Golf 3 1E, 1.8 8v - ABS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
    Long gone are the days of cleaning and gapping plugs every 5,000 miles then!

I was amazed when I discovered how long plugs last now on my return to a petrol car after years of diesels

Chris
    Without wishing to start a "My plugs lasted longer than yours" competition, the 20 year old V6 Vectra that I sold when I bought my Golf had the factory fitted plugs still in at 88,000 miles and never a mis-fire!
    2020 Golf Facelift Match Edition 1.5 TSI EVO 150PS DSG