Thread: Newbie with 2000 Beetle Alarm question

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie with 2000 Beetle Alarm question

Hello all, I recently bought a 2000 Beetle 2.0 petrol (my first Beetle). Love it, but realising I've much to learn!

Can anyone help with this, please? Before I tear out what little hair I've got left!!

Seller was honest that the remote locking doesn't work, so it's all manual with the key. He showed me that once the key's turned & driver's door opened, there's a few seconds in which to turn the ignition on - to stop the alarm going off. I should mention that when you open the car with the key, only the driver's door opens - the passenger one doesn't open too. But when you lock with the key, everything shuts. And there's only one key.

All that was fine, till today I started trying to sort the key & locking. Opened key fob up, found no battery inside. Fitted the correct 2032 battery and, hoping that was the solution, tried it out. Nothing changed (or so it seemed) - pressed all the buttons... nothing. Key still opened the door manually fine, however - and this is the difference - now the alarm starts going off soon as I open the door!! Can stop it by turning the key in the ignition, but I've now lost those few seconds of grace. So I can now only open the car with the alarm going off. Been trying to sort it most of the morning, and my neighbours hate me!! So after several frustrating hours, I'm worse off than when I started.

Tried a couple of things I saw online, to try & reset. Sitting in car, locking doors, key to 2nd ignition position, holding down remote Lock button, etc. Also the one-lock of the boot hatch handle thing. But alarm still going off soon as I open up. Also took battery back out of the remote - no difference.

Any ideas, please? All suggestions gratefully accepted.

One other thing to mention. Inside the key, I noticed the little sensor chip/pin thing (with the glass end, that communicates with the electrics?) is slightly too long for the little well it's meant to sit in. Someone's put a bit of wadding underneath so it lies across the well, rather than in it. Hope I've explained that OK.
    Last edited by MalcolmH; 26-07-20 at 14:22. Reason: Spacing & typos

Post Thanks / Like
    That is going to need a diagnostic computer to see what is wrong and look at the measuring block information such as the trigger report which tell you what is setting the alarm off.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    As suggested: You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Why has somebody removed the battery from the key fob?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies, guys. In fact since posting, the problem has partly cured itself. When unlocking this afternoon, about 4 out of 5 times it was back to giving the 20 secs grace. But once out of 5, alarm went off soon as door opened.

Re the battery, Keith, I can only think if a previous owner replaced it (as I did) and found the remote still didnt work, they may have decided to keep the battery.

I base that deduction on the fact that before selling, they also seem to have removed all 4 locking wheel nuts and all the cup holders!

If anyone has direct experience of the issues mentioned, Id be interested in what the findings & remedies were.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone think the glass chip thing in the key remote - the fact it's too long for the little channel it's meant to rest in - could have a bearing on the central locking not working?

Also, when I hit the boot-opening release in the driver's door, there's a little whirr/hiss that sounds like the boot unlocking. However after about 2 seconds - before I can even reach the boot to open it - there's a further whirr/hiss, and the boot locks again. I re-press the button, same thing. Occasionally I'll go round and despite hearing the 2nd sound, the boot does actually open.

The boot thing's not a quirk after opening the remote up today. It's done that since buying the car last week.
    2000 Beetle 2.0, Petrol