Thread: Fuse locations

Post Thanks / Like

Fuse locations

I have a 2008 Passat B6 2.0 TDI BMR engine, 3C2176 PASSAT. This is an Australian spec RHD.

The owners manual is clearly generic for all versions, with images indicating LHD dash layout & the fuses each side of the dash. There is an Australian supplement for the manual but no mention of fuses. The images in the manual for the fuse boxes at each end of the dash shown in booklet 3.3 page 85. appear to be reversed for my car - the fuse boxes by shape at least, but the actual fuse locations within each box bear little relationship to their actual function as listed in the Owners Manual. I've spent hours on the net searching for the right one, without success. There are some claiming to be for RHD, but they have simply reversed the image & the positions aren't correct.
    I am hoping that some nice UK owner (RHD) familiar with similar car might have a diagram of the right layout. In some blogs on the net I have seen comments that the fuses & wiring of the B6 Passat are the same as a Mk5 Golf.
    Can anyone help please? Just the fuse layout & assignments for the L & R dash end boxes for a RHD car. Maybe ELSAwin might specify the RHD version differently to the LHD. Anything even close would be a help.
    PS: My Owners manual states: "Depending on the version and specifications of your vehicle, the fuse numbers and positions may differ to those given in the table. Your Volkswagen dealership will be able to inform of the exact fuse layout." I assume therefore the info must be in ELSAwin ????
    Thanks guys.
    Gus
    Last edited by AussieVAGnut; 26-07-20 at 15:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your profile doesn't say where you live are you Australian?

The are a few Type Codes that match your car but not that Type Code 3C2176.

2008 Passat Variant Sport 2.0 TDI-PD BMR 170PS 3C5276
    2008 Passat Variant Sport 2.0 TDI-PD BMR 170PS 3C5272

PDF files

Taken from ElsaWin which I don't have installed after a rebuild until I sort out another annoying problem.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks KeithUK. yes I am in Australia in far western New South Wales, a semi-remote rural area. We are about 500km WNW of Sydney in Warren. Look on Google Earth if you like.
    Re the Type code I suspect the only difference between an Aussie spec & UK spec, assuming same engine etc is to do with a few minor details to conform to our stupid "unique" Australian Design Rules" for Child Restraints & some required warnings re jack usage and elastic luggage strap usage. These are mentioned in the Australian Supplement to the owners manual.
    I would be quietly confident that the fuse locations will be the same for "2008 Passat Variant Sport 2.0 TDI-PD BMR 170PS 3C5272 or 3C5276" you mention above, which I assume are UK spec cars. It is also probable that the 2006 & 2009 cars have the same, as my experience is that VAG only change things within a particular model series very rarely, & only if there is a significant reason for upgrading before a "whole of vehicle upgrade.". Also, as I mentioned above I read somewhere that the Golf Mk5 had the same wiring loom. (I have no way to confirm this) ((No not right. I could compare the numbers on ETKA.)) Your .pdf files list mentions the 2006 & 2009 relay & fuses. Can I impose on you to email me them please? Best regards, Gus
    Last edited by AussieVAGnut; 27-07-20 at 02:00.
    2008 Passat 2.0 TDI-PD BMR, DSG Type Code 3C2176 (Aussie spec)

Post Thanks / Like
    ElsaWin doesn't show ETKA part numbers only diagrams and text with reference to ETKA.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/ keep this in your favorites/bookmarks for reference. It shows the same picture layout as ETKA. As it will save me checking ETKA, which isn't working with the new 8.2 version

http://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/volk...2010-2015.html

I will send you 2009 Passat 2.0 TDI-CR Fuses & Relays 3C51Z6 CBAB 2005-2008 as your PM asked for.

PDF files
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to KeithUK for sending me the pdfs of the wiring for type code 3C51Z6.. I have done some checking of the actual fuse locations compared to what is shown in the pdf. Me thinks that that type code may be for LHD. There is nothing on the .pdf that I could find which indicates where there are differences between RHD & LHD in the wiring. But looking at ETKA online, the fuse box holders on each side of the dashboard have different part numbers depending on whether LHD or RHD. To be clear what I mean here, I have attached images of my car. So if anyone with a similar UK spec car can tell me the actual fuse locations in fuseholders like those, round the right way, I would be very appreciative. Note the fuse boxs/holders have to have been manufactured to suit the driving side of the car. They cannot be simply swapped from one side to the other - they have to be made as a mirror image which explains the different part numbers.
    My car is type code 3C176 which is Australian spec. (VIN WVWZZZ3CZ8P117591) What would be the UK type spec for B6 2.0ltr TDI DSG up to around April 2008? Anyone know?
    Thanks in advance.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuses RHS Passat.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	7450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuses LHS Passat.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	7451 !st one is RHS (drivers), 2nd is LHS (passengers) for RHD car.
    Last edited by AussieVAGnut; 28-07-20 at 09:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    The difference between RHD & LHD is the fuse box inside is on the left or right as you sit in the car.

I sent you the PDF file yesterday and asked if its useful make a comment in PDF files

As I've said I haven't installed ElsaWin after a rebuild and another problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I misunderstood. I put the comment here in this thread. I'll copy it to the pdf files thread.

I am sorry for labouring the point re which side these 2 fuse holders are on, but the owners manual which is clearly generic for numerous models shows these fuse boxes in the opposite position to my car, and would appear to be for LHD vehicles. I included the pictures above to clearly show that my RHD car is different. If you look at the shape of each box, and the number of rows you can tell that they are mirror images of the owners manual images (for LHD), not just swapped. By checking a few of the fuses it is obvious that when changing the design from LHD to RHD, VW moved some fuses, but not all so there is a complete mix between the two.
    Last edited by AussieVAGnut; 28-07-20 at 17:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've just replied in the thread the same thing as I've said.