Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine replacement

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent the vin , new recon engine arrived today , off Skoda , itsays , recon , new chain , valve stem seals replaced shells andpiston rings . Not bought by me just doing the work!

OK , this idenfication , does this influence how the engine is removed please.

Also can I ask, if there is a new chain fitted , what is the best way of energising the chain drive from initial turnover just so that the chain tensioner is energised properly with oil pressure. I assume its instant on cranking?
    Last edited by boatlon; 30-07-20 at 21:00. Reason: add to story
    2009 Polo 9N3 1.2 BBM, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    BBM which model as that engine code is used in 4 VAG models.

Manufacturer: Skoda, Date(s) Used: 12/2006-05/2009, Model: Fabia, Engine Code: BBM, 44Kw, 60PS, 1.2 Ltr, 3 Cyls
    Manufacturer: Seat, Date(s) Used: 06/2007-05/2008, Model: Ibiza/ST, Engine Code: BBM, 44Kw, 60PS, 1.2 Ltr, 3 Cyls
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2007-06/2008, Model: Polo/Derby/Vento/Classic Polo/Classic, Engine Code: BBM, 44Kw, 60PS, 1.2 Ltr, 3 Cyls, Remarks: India ("IND")
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2008-11/2009, Model: PoloCross, Engine Code: BBM, 44Kw, 60PS, 1.2 Ltr, 3 Cyls
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent , Thank you.

I refer to my Chain tension previously ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Why does the fact that BBM engine code differ from Skoda to polo if its the same type of engine, its off a Skoda by the writing on the block by seller but they are all 60 ps?

Post Thanks / Like
    OK forget that , Do the driveshafts have To unbolted from the gearbox drive or snapped out of circlip at the seal at the gearbox , please.

Iam passed that , I unbolted the shafts.
    Engine and geearbox out now .
    The rebuilt unit to replace has no what looks like an oil level sensor, does anyone know if the polo wiring has in some models a blank to fit the plug that is there , to fool the oil level warning , assuming that is the sensor , it it sits into the sump by the dipstick. Skoda has no facility.

Does anyone know what the minimum thickness is for clutch wear, so that I may change the plate , the car has done 60,000 mls
    Last edited by boatlon; 02-08-20 at 19:30. Reason: story added

Post Thanks / Like
    Torque settings would be good , is there some link that I could look at these for the clutch replacement please , I have an old Haynes on previous versions , up to '51 versions , perhaps I can follow clsely to them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polo breather .jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	7485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skoda Crankcase.jpg 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	7484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polo Timing case with port facility.jpg 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	7483
    Quote Originally Posted by boatlon View Post
    Torque settings would be good , is there some link that I could look at these for the clutch replacement please , I have an old Haynes on previous versions , up to '51 versions , perhaps I can follow closely to them?
    Starting from the right , this is the Polo timing case cover looking at the top where the engine mount bolts. The 2nd right is a Skoda casing with no fixing.
    The last pic shows the Breather looking for a home!
    Clearly I need to swap casings but I have yet to ask seller in case I invalidate the warranty given!

Further to above help is needed , I now need to swap Skoda based timing case to suit the Polo as it has an added port for a breather at the top and no facility on the Skoda case.
    what is the best way to lock the crank to get the bottom pulley off the crank please.
    Last edited by boatlon; 05-08-20 at 21:20. Reason: add to story

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boatlon View Post
    what is the best way to lock the crank to get the bottom pulley off the crank please.
    You have to use a counter hold tool against the subframe so with the engine out the only way I can think of is a BIG air impact wrench BUT the vibration from this could cause the chain to jump. Return the engine and ask for the correct one. What is the full code on the data stickers on the chain covers and private message me your reg number.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    You have to use a counter hold tool against the sub frame so with the engine out the only way I can think of is a BIG air impact wrench BUT the vibration from this could cause the chain to jump. Return the engine and ask for the correct one. What is the full code on the data stickers on the chain covers and private message me your reg number.
    Thanks for your help there, I have now discovered that the emission hole is there , my mistake but the facility for the sump level indicator may have to fooled into thinking out of the engine but plugged in.
    Thank you for your input though , its annoying when you get these differences to details like this and your not local to the supplier to send it back.

I wasn't involved in the ordering.

The engine is back in and on the rebuild , fingers crossed!

The unit does seem to have had a new chain , well the cover has been off and there are signs of a new head gasket , so a few truths in the reconditioning carried out.
    I notice that one of the exhaust ports is black , (a bit ominous) which means to me it has had the same trouble maybe using oil which is the reason why the present one is being replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am just putting a CAVD TFSI back together.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12