Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Gearbox Issue??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    To late I've already updated your car spec, look at your signature?
    Haha excellent work
    2005 Caddy 2.0 SDI BST

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it's all back together again and the gearbox is rattling so I think I've messed something up

After I got most of it back together I started it up without any drive shafts attached and let it idle for a while. There was a noise coming coming from the flywheel but it turned out to be the metal gasket was slightly catching it. Then I put it in first gear and checked for any noises and all seemed OK.

As soon as I attached the drive shafts and tested it (car is on jack stands with no wheels) I can hear a rattling coming from the gearbox cover plate. I never heard this noise before the gearbox was removed so its something I've missed (most likely) or the garage who sorted my gearbox messed up (doubtful).

I sent the gearbox off to a company who checked it an just did the minimum repairs due to money. They said the gearbox was fine it just needed a new ****** and a part inside the diff replacing. Only cost 180 Inc collection and delivery, they do a full recon for 600 but as they checked it and said it was fine I just went for the quick fix.

The gearbox oil leak is gone and theres no leaks from the sump or oil seal as far as I can see. Only error codes are an egr one and the feckin wiper motor issue.

I took it out for a test drive and it ran fine, 2nd to 3rd is hard to find but maybe I need to do some tweaking with the setup? Its pretty nippy low end to be fair. Went through all the gears fine and when I got back jacked it up and no leaks anywhere so far.

When I was fitting the gearbox I messed about with it for ages to make sure all the holes were lined up, then got under the car and lifted the gearbox a slight wiggle and I felt it slot home. I don't think I've done any damage attaching it.
    When fitting the flywheel there's only one way it can go on, the new clutch came with a new clutch fork with the metal clip attached so that went on fine. I used one of them universal laser clutch alignment tools which seemed straight forward. The input shaft that the clutch fork and throwout bearing attaches has no play in it at all so even if there was an issue with the clutch plate setup that shouldn't manifest itself in the gearbox would it?

Any ideas what the issue could be, I'm fully expecting to have to remove the gearbox again but really hoping it's just some tweak on the gear selector levels is needed

In other news at least that seal must be OK seen as it started and didn't throw any error codes. (every cloud)

Btw thanks to both of you for all your help, wouldn't have got this far without it.
    2005 Caddy 2.0 SDI BST

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like the dual bearing cartridge that supports the end of the input and output shafts has failed, very common and makes a terrible noise.

If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

4. Thanks Gozzy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    That sounds like the dual bearing cartridge that supports the end of the input and output shafts has failed, very common and makes a terrible noise.

That does sound like where its coming from and would make sense considering it happens on all gears. The thing is it wasn't happening before I sent the gear box away and they said everything was fine. I'd it possible to replace that part with the gearbox still in the engine? Seems like you could remove the cover, remove the 5th gear and get to it that way?

One other thought is, if I hadn't lined up the clutch plate exactly right could that send vibrations through the gearbox and cause the noise?

Also how much damage would it cause to keep driving it for a month? Say another 500 miles?

Thanks
    2005 Caddy 2.0 SDI BST

Post Thanks / Like
    I can’t see it being friction plate alignment, even if it is slightly out you can’t get the box back in and if it was just the smallest amount out of line and the box slotted in cleanly (no naughty pulling it in on the bolts) then the instant you press the clutch pedal it finds its own happy place. The box has to come completely apart as it is bolted inside the main gear housing, part number 02T311206J and 73.03 genuine. To be honest, no matter what, a company who knows these boxes with THAT bearing is stupid not to replace it when the box is apart as Febi offer these for a little less than genuine, not much but appreciable

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

7. Thanks Gozzy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I was thinking the same about alignment, "no naughty pulling it in on the bolts" I'm pretty sure the gearbox was sitting flush before I tightened the bolts. I definitely felt the gearbox mate with the clutch plate but if I have have fecked it up would an alignment/flywheel issue make its way to the gearbox? I wouldn't have though it would as the dampening the clutch plate and input shaft bearing should suppress it enough.

As soon as I touch the clutch pedal it starts to bite but I do get a vibration through the pedal even when the clutch is fully depressed (a bit like I'm getting haha)

I wouldn't even know the rattling was there if it wasn't for testing it, I can't hear it over the engine noise when I test drove it.

If I drained the gear oil and removed the cover plate I could test for play in the 5th gear cogs to prove if its that seal?

Cheers
    2005 Caddy 2.0 SDI BST

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone help me I have a 05 Caddy SDI struggling to get a gear box can anyone tell me if the tdi same year fits it it’s to do with codes but most people in speaking to don’t know the codes etc so struggling to know exactly what I need thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a common question and correct or even barely suitable used boxes are in short supply, various boxes will fit but if the ratios are wrong the ECU can pick it up and bring on the engine warning light. Firstly we need to know what you have so private message me the REG number.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Calv72 View Post
    Can anyone help me I have a 05 Caddy SDI
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, only what I've added from your 2 threads. Which SDI?

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 09/2000-06/2003, Model: Caddy, Engine Code: AYQ, 47Kw, 64PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Suction Diesel Injection (SDI) Timing belt

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 12/2003-05/2008, Model: Caddy/Caddy Maxi, Engine Code: BDJ, 51Kw, 70PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Suction Diesel Injection (SDI) Timing belt
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 06/2005-05/2008, Model: Caddy/Caddy Maxi, Engine Code: BST, 51Kw, 70PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Suction Diesel Injection (SDI) Timing belt
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456