Thread: Passat B6 vibrating gear stick

Post Thanks / Like

Passat B6 vibrating gear stick

I’ve got a 2007 Passat B6 1.9 TDI that’s got a vibrating gear stick, it only happens in fourth gear at low speed and at low revs looks like it’s almost going to jump out of gear but at 70mph it’s fine. Has anyone got any idea what the problem is?

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Just the gear stick?

What is the mileage if its jumping out of gear?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about that, I didn’t know, thanks for the reply.

Its not actually jumping out of gear but the gear stick rattles backwards and forwards so much I’m surprised it hasn’t. It’s got 140,000 miles on it.
    2007 Passat B6 1.9 TDI-PD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richey View Post

Its not actually jumping out of gear but the gear stick rattles backwards and forwards so much I’m surprised it hasn’t.
    When posting a question you should always post the correct problem not guesswork else you could get the wrong replies.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t want to get into an argument 5 minutes after joining your forum but I did say it’s ‘almost going to jump out of gear’, not actually jumping out of gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richey View Post
    I don’t want to get into an argument 5 minutes after joining your forum but I did say it’s ‘almost going to jump out of gear’, not actually jumping out of gear.
    You won't arguing with me, I'm asking to post the correct problem read it to make sure its correct else you could get the wrong reply as no one else has replied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, let’s start again.

I’ve got a 2007 Passat B6 1.9 TDI with 140,000 miles on the clock. It’s regularly serviced and well looked after, I’ve spent about a grand and a half on it in the last year but obviously there’s a limit to what I want to spend before I give up and it goes to the big multi-story in the sky, which is why I’m here to ask the question....

The problem with it now is a bad vibration through the gear stick in only 4th gear and at low revs it’s rattling backwards and forwards, if I put my foot down it improves but doesn’t go away all together, in any other gear it’s fine. Can anyone help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Some non gearbox related items to check...

Worn gearbox or engine mounts can cause similar symptoms
    Worn inner CV joints especially the one on the drivers side (RHD cars)

Unlikely to be an internal gearbox issue if all other gears give zero stick vibration, based on what you have said unless 4th gear itself is warped, or the corresponding layshaft gear, which is extremely unlikely as such an issue would still give constant vibration worsening when 4th is engaged.