Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do I need a battery charger?

Post Thanks / Like
    As I recall H&S wasn't too lively back then.
    The unfortunate lad who I was referring to ended up looking like an extra from the Michael Jackson Thriller video
    Last edited by Sam&Anne; 30-08-20 at 15:58.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The stop/start feature is a useless disaster which kills the battery and destroys the starter motor and flywheel ring gear... plus it doesn’t reduce emissions; it is an EU bureaucrat box ticking exercise to keep the Co2 believers happy.
    Is there away to disconnect the stop / start permanently ?

also would be able to reconnect when selling the car. thanks
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV EVO 1.5 TSI 130PS 5 Door Tornado Red

Post Thanks / Like
    A competent auto electrician will be able to code it out. It can be reinstalled by the same method and before offering the vehicle for sale.
    VW are not normally keen on this as they are bound by restrictions from on high but an independent wouldn't be concerned.
    Simply switching it off as I do as I fit my seat belt is now second nature.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by john2 View Post
    Is there away to disconnect the stop / start permanently ?

also would be able to reconnect when selling the car. thanks

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/2...hout-recoding/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Another conned by the manufacturers that this is a good useful feature when it's entirely the opposite and destructive.

Anyone who has a car should have a battery charger .

And save the money on a quality like product such as the Maypole MP7423 .
    Reading some reviews for this charger I saw this ( the charge had dropped below 7.5v the smart charger registered it as 6v & stopped charging & showed as fully charged.)
    Anybody have this problem or comments.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Best crack to avoid this as most Smart chargers condemn batteries at low voltages is to jump start and run for 10mins+ then charge from the resulting higher voltage so the Smart charger is then happy to charge .

7. Thanks john2 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Best crack to avoid this as most Smart chargers condemn batteries at low voltages is to jump start and run for 10mins+ then charge from the resulting higher voltage so the Smart charger is then happy to charge .
    Thanks a good way around the the problem, may still look at other chargers to replace my 40 year old one !

9. Dislikes Crasher disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find the stop start really annoying on my 2019 DSG car. Unlike my same model 2013 car you can't 'cheat' it by using auto hold and releasing the brake the instant the car comes to a stop. It now turns the engine off a second or so before you come to a halt. Plus another annoying feature is that it now auto starts when the car in front starts moving - quite handy a lot of the time but really annoying if in heavy traffic and the idiot in front keeps creeping forward!

I find I myself switching it off a lot of the time but this brings out another annoying change on the facelift model. I usually drive in eco mode as I like the coasting feature. Unfortunately the newer model now disables the coasting feature every time you turn the ignition off so every time you set off you have to remember to switch to eco mode. But you have to do the SS and eco mode switching in the right order - if you switch off the SS first then later do the eco mode (the first time you want to coast for example) then changing to eco puts the SS back on! ****** infuriating!

It's a really nice car but I find the so called Evo engine a backwards step from my 1.4. For a start it has some slight hesitation problem but it is also much noisier and the DSG changes don't seem as smooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct me if I am wrong but can this abomination not be coded out competely and comprehensively on later model vehicles similar to the way it can on earlier versions?

Post Thanks / Like
    I disabled it on my 2015 VW Golf with VCDS. I increased "start/stop voltage limit" to 12.1V and now it thinks power consumption is too high and never triggers start/stop. If you don't want to pay for VCDS, you can try disconnecting a monitoring cable from the battery, but then I'm not sure if this would have any other side-effects on battery charging or monitoring.

2015 Golf 2.0 TDI-CR CRBC

13. Likes Keithuk liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123