Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a battery charger?

Post Thanks / Like

Do I need a battery charger?

I have a 2018 Golf BlueMotion 1.5 TSI with the stop / start feature. In the last few weeks, the engine has stopped cutting out, which I understand can be caused by a battery not fully charged, probably due to short journeys during the coronavirus situation.

The manual says the battery requires "voltage limited charging", so I found the CTEK CT5, which appears to be specifically for stop / start engines. Is this a safe and recommended solution? Any help and advice welcome - thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

You need the battery checked out if you have a starting problem.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another conned by the manufacturers that this is a good useful feature when it's entirely the opposite and destructive.

Anyone who has a car should have a battery charger .

And save the money on a quality like product such as the Maypole MP7423 .

Post Thanks / Like
    It is important with an AGM battery to charge it correctly but I do find it annoying that modern VAG cars cut off their accessory socket with the ignition; I can’t see why they have done this as it means trickle charging is much more awkward.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies, but I think I'm in a bit over my head here. If you can suggest a more suitable forum for a novice, please do.

1. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place. Should I re-post in introductions? "you could get a free fix and we never see you again". What does this mean?

2. I don't have a starting problem as such - just a problem with the engine not cutting out and restarting as it used to.

3. "
    You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu". I have no idea what this means. Presumably it involves taking the car to a workshop?

4. Thanks for the
    Maypole MP7423 suggestion. So is this suitable for voltage limited charging and a start / stop system?
    2018 Golf BlueMotion 1.5 TSI

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes , whatever you do don't get the stop start working again , it's carnage .

7. Likes Sam&Anne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hang on, you are saying switch off the start / stop system and don't use it? Why would I want to do that? What is this carnage which would ensue?

Post Thanks / Like

10. Thanks Sam&Anne thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The stop/start feature is a useless disaster which kills the battery and destroys the starter motor and flywheel ring gear... plus it doesn’t reduce emissions; it is an EU bureaucrat box ticking exercise to keep the Co2 believers happy.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

12. Thanks Sam&Anne thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I seem to have got more than I bargained for here....and there's me thinking I was doing my bit for the environment. Thanks for the videos Gazwould - two interestingly differing views re wear & tear - and your take Crasher.

From a layman's perspective my only comment is that the unpleasant startup description in video 2 doesn't hold true at all in my car - it's quiet and seamless. I have no way of deciding for myself on the mechanical aspects apart from more research... I only wanted to buy the right battery charger!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast