Thread: Replacing Ignition barrel

Post Thanks / Like

Question Replacing Ignition barrel

Hello. I'm completely new member and seeking for some help, hope you guys can help me out. One day I was driving and the car just turned off, the radio was still on but no ignition and the dash wasnt working either. I stopped and tried to start it again, but when i turned the key all the way, there was no ignition, car didnt start and the dash wasnt working either (no lights, nothing). After couple of minutes I tried to start it again and it started normaly like always. After I came back home and I tried to start the car again. The key would get stuck turning after like 30-40, cant get that far to turn the ignition ON, cant get out the lock cylinder because it wont turn to ON position so i could use paper clip to release the locking.

So I ordered a new Ignition Housing and a key, replaced it. After i tried to start it with new key, the car started, then immediately turned off giving me 'Imobbilizer active' message on dash, because of the new key im using. After i try to start it again, there is no ignition. The radio and air works, but nothing comes on the dash, no messages, no lights. So I'm wondering why it started for one time, but it wouldnt start again, or wouldnt even turn the ignition on.

Was thinking maybe it was some wiring issue, the housing i received had some extra wire. No idea where it connects to so i just didnt connect it anywhere. (The new part has the same serial no and is taken from golf 5, same as mine)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	118643176_253239779018402_3166127613150960872_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	7535

The car started for once using new housing with the wires, but wouldnt start again. I tried changing the wires (the ones I circled in the picture) from my old housing and connected them to new one, but nothing changed. Still wont start and no ignition. I know the key needs programing, but the car should still start or give me a message on the dash that imobbilizer is active. Im kinda lost at this point and dont know what could be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see by the part picture it is PQ35 platform, i.e Golf 5. Firstly you should have ordered a barrel matched to the key the car was built with, your supplier should have warned you about this. Until the keys chip matches the one programmed to the immobiliser in the dash, you are going nowhere.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    So I need to program the key to the immobiliser, or could i just put the chip from old key to a new one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the new key has to be matched to the immobiliser, the chip in the key is extremely fragile
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.