Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tdi long cold start

Post Thanks / Like

Tdi long cold start

Hi all. My 2015 Golf SV 1.6 TDI is slow to start cold in normal weather.

It starts instantly in very cold frosty weather. The wife's sv, same spec always starts instantly. I have read the VVT could be the cause. The car is early 2015 registered with only 19000 miles. Is 4/5 seconds too long to fire on first start of the day. I have VAG-COM but haven't run a scan yet. Any known issues I might check out?

Any ideas welcome.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.6 TDI-CR (X2) CXXB
    When I went out of my mind, they helped me find the key to get back in.
    It was behind the dustbin, the one that had it in for me!!

Post Thanks / Like
    You have quite a few VAG models now and I've updated your car spec and signature now we know which engine is fitted to your 2015 Passat.

It isn't that cold at the moment.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and thanks Keith. Ive updated my vehicle profile.

The extended cranking time is intermittent but mostly on first start of the day and sometimes later. I also lose brake vacuum overnight in hot weather but never in cool conditions. I took the car back to VW under warranty but they couldnt fault either issue. I also had a water leak from the door speakers which they fixed second attempt. This soaked the carpets and VW refused any replacement or contribution for this. The matter is now with The motor ombudsman who has decided to take the matter up with VW. I understand the reluctance t replace carpets as anyone could cause that by leaving a window open.

I have VAG-COM and will scan but I doubt it will show a fault if the variable valve timing module is faulty. This problem isnot uncommon apparently. I've lost faith in VW customer care as it seems they try to wriggle out of every problem I've had, or want to charge for work, diting the extended warranty doesnt cover this or that. They refused to replace a leaking aircon condenser saying it was stone damage. I didnt give them the work and allowed a trusted local garage to do the work. The condenser had a leaking joint, they showed me the old one and no sign of stone damage.

I'm pretty sure my starting issue is the vvt module but VW dealer says they never heard of it and wont replace it under warranty by substitution unless they hit upon the fault. Which they wont. It's well documented around various forums that this module (valve and case) was modified on later models.

I dont mind doing the job myself if vw cant. I just wondered if anyone on this forum has experienced starting issues with the 1.6 TDI.

Sorry for the negative stuff but it is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    The VVT used at this time is extremely troublesome but I need to pin down what you have, please private message me the cars REG number.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a CXXB engine and the car was built 11/11/14, this unit does not have the VVT system, that was used on the CRKA & B engine, faults with the VVT unit or the cam to cam gears tend to show up as cam/crank position sensor codes.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much Crasher for that
    I just checked the sticker, you are quite correct
    I never thought to check the engine code
    There are no fault codes showing on the scans. Engine and other modules come back. No fault.
    So, where next?..fuel,pressure? glow plugs? It does seem odd the colder the ambient temperature, the easier it starts.. The wife's car is exactly the same model and year. That always starts instantly
    By the way, my diagnostic tool is VCDS..is there any more I can do with that? I do wonder if the temperature range of the glow plug cut in can be checked or maybe a sensor somewhere. But as stated no fault codes are apparent.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only trouble I have had with the CXXB so far has been low oil pressure and failure of the cam to cam gears which makes a terrible racket, what fuel do you both use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Crasher. The fuel used usually is Shell . Sometimes the wife will use Tesco but hers always starts first touch. I tend to use shell's ordinary stuff. I could try using v power premium diesel. My only worry is the car has only done 19 000 miles.
    In hot weather it also loses brake vacuum overnight so I wonder if there is a vac leak somewhere causing the long crank time. No other problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    The brake vacuum is developed by an engine driven pump so I can’t see any connection. Have you checked with VW to see if there is a software update? It could be a weak battery, the stop start system puts a huge strain on even the best AGM part; I am seeing batteries regularly fail at 4 years no when over the last 40 years I had seen battery life creep up to 12 or more years. Many years ago before the Balkans war there was a Yugoslavian brand of battery TESLA (the company still exists and has come to an “agreement” with Tesla in the US) that VW fitted at the factory especially on the Yugoslavian made Caddy. These had incredible life spans, the one on our 86 Caddy was still going strong when 20 years old but the floor had fallen out the van...

Post Thanks / Like
    OK Crasher, I see your point re vacuum pump. Maybe a sticky none return valve but I'll leave that for now.
    I dont use the stop start, hate the things
    Battery seems to whip the engine over quickly however, I rarely do long runs..
    I needed fuel so I've just filled it with Vee power diesel and took it for a 40 mile trot
    When up to normal temp I gave the car a good thrashing, flat out through the DSG on the A43. I just got back and the fans were whirring like mad..That's not my normal driving style at all I normally drive with great vehicle sympathy.
    Maybe now it's got decent (expensive) fuel, and had its cobwebs blown out, it might be a little bit more enthusiastic when starting.
    After yesterday's scans and old fault code clearing it started on the button today.
    During most fair weather starts it goes over 6 or 7 compressions before firing
    Perhaps I'm expecting too much. We'll see how it goes with the expensive fuel, 1.41 ltr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast