Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Polo 1.2 BMD problem after a rebuild

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crasher really appreciate it.
    Oh b@gger, Iíll know more in the am, so are you saying if it has hit that the bottom end will be dead?
    Or could be?

Post Thanks / Like
    Unlike the 12v where the valves are angled and can bend, the 6v hits hard and as you cannot buy con rod bolts or bearings you cannot take things apart to check or replace them if damaged.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 Ė 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, I guess I might as well buy a camshaft and another crankshaft bolt and try it

So sad that vw are encouraging the throwaway society.

Like the cam has no installed bearings, so at some point the head is worn and no way to install shells

One way I suppose of ensuring people renew their cars, also itíd be tricky to engine swap something reasonable with insurance and existing etc

Post Thanks / Like
    The bottom end was built that way to reduce friction losses to an absolute minimum in the EU lead insane pursuit of CO2 reduction, reductions at any cost and coming to haunt us all in the form of electric cars. When people start being incinerated by the things in the coming decades I hope I will be dead and gone and not witness it. Mrs Crasher says she is booking one of these as a final insult

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh dear, it does deeply disturb me this trend of non rebuild in any form...

But I digress from my issue 😶

So might I be lucky here or do you reckon I am wasting my time and should just either source another lump or break the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    A used lump is potentially a disaster... finally after 40 years I have learnt my lesson; no more used parts! Unfortunately VW don’t do a short BMD which is a bit remiss of them because knowing the price of the exchange head I recon they could supply for an exchange one less than a grand; a long block is £2622 including VAT retail which is very good value but the car would need to be a prime example to justify it. I have seen people who say they can rebuild them but I would avoid them like C19!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok well thatís decided it then, itís not a super low miler. New camshaft bolt and new crankshaft one too, button it up and try it

I feel dreadful as Iíve mostly always had vwís and my son listened, daughter went French. But actually her Pug is not nearly as throw away as his vw

We got it cheap and have spent £ 550 on it so far inc buying so we could probably recover through breaking it

Thanks I know you probably cannot be seen to condone the Ďbung it together and try ití as you run a very well respected business.

Thanks again

8. Thanks Crasher thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mini update, cannot see any contact, I see a slight scratch on cyl3 but think thatís from where I decoked the piston top

No dents or gouges and the scope is not Uber clear but using the 45į mirror the valves donít look marked either

So if there was contact it was kissing and not thumping!

Iíll ring vw in the am for the bolts, daft that the cam cog has no keyway but this does seem to be the way these days

This time Iíll do a dummy cinch of the top cover without lifters to also check the cam spins freely

Post Thanks / Like
    The cam timing is done that way so it can be set very accurately but without resorting to two piece cam pulleys which costs money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Grabbed a new bolt, can I use thread lock? Really uneasy about it staying put?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast