Thread: VW Touran Window regulator fix

Post Thanks / Like

VW Touran Window regulator fix

Hi all.

After a window fail (whilst in Cornwall a couple of weeks ago - rear passenger window dropped and wouldn't release back up....gaffer tape and layer of plastic sheet until we got back!) myself and a neighbour helping me have had a look at a fix. The retainer clip had broken so I sourced the appropriate regulator kit.
    Managed to get the new plastic clip back on and all seemed ok. Tricky getting the dowel into the window glass and cable in but we eventually managed it.

However, once tested we heard a crunching noise and soon realised the cable was being shredded intside the spool. Fortunately the kit included new spool and cables...unfortunately we couldn't work out how to (or how much to) wind this into the spool...I have no instructions whatsoever and don't want to shred the new cable.

The two cables are of different lengths (slightly)...we worked out from taking the old cable which length goes where but we had to abandon ship late last night (so the window is currently held up with gaffer tape.

Anyone managed to replace one of these before and/or have access to any instructions?

Thanks very much.

ps. can't see a way to post an image at the moment....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	7606

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Maybe Crasher can help with this problem when he reads this thread.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

3. Thanks somapop thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Maybe Crasher can help with this problem when he reads this thread.
    Ahh - thanks.
    Apols I was in mad pursuit for an answer on this (and thought I'd joined this forum years ago!). Was sending both me and a neighbour mad over the last few days (and he's used to taking cars parts, especially VW's being a long time Transporter owner!).

Will hopefully await Crasher's response

Cheers.
    2007 Touran 1.9 TDI-PD

Post Thanks / Like
    I won’t entertain these aftermarket kits, trying to describe how to wind them is as impossible as the task. We have to get the cars out and fixed ASAP as time is money so we will only fit a new panel, 1T0839461P in your case and £164.12.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 – 13 April 1956)

6. Thanks somapop thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I won’t entertain these aftermarket kits, trying to describe how to wind them is as impossible as the task. We have to get the cars out and fixed ASAP as time is money so we will only fit a new panel, 1T0839461P in your case and £164.12.
    Ahh - that's perfectly understandable. Was indeed an utter ball ache (even for the guy used to taking cars apart).

I've seen the replacement regulators - and we're taking the panel off again anyway so presumably these are a lot easier to replace (a bit of riveting etc)?

In saying that I've just seen the part you've quoted on eBay for £50 - so panel and regulator...will investigate further but that's nearly half the price of other full panels I've seen.
    I don't really want to chuck a great deal of money at this car tbf but it's been an amazing motor over the years.

Thanks Crasher.
    2007 Touran 1.9 TDI-PD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I had a conversation with a seller who had the panel and regulator (brand new) for £50 as mentioned above.
    Unfortunately it appears the part is rear left not rear right - apologies for not mentioning that.
    Shame as that would've been a much quicker fix.

Will look at just replacing the whole regulator.

Many thanks.
    2007 Touran 1.9 TDI-PD