Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red face TSI Engine 1.2 or 1.4

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Red face TSI Engine 1.2 or 1.4

Hey guys I'm not exactly a car gal but want to get your thoughts on the experience and long term reliability of the smaller v larger engine in the TSI series (only talking about mk7)

1) the 4 cylinder, 16V engine range seems reasonably reliable if taken care of but cambelts seem to be an issue and will probably need replacing every 50k. Is there any reason either the smaller or larger engine would be more likely to break after 100,000+ miles as it's being "pushed harder" or is this just nonsense as with fuel injection the revs are same (are they?!)?

2) anyone have any sentiments on engine noise on motorways between the two? containment seems pretty good on Golfs but I do like my country music and would like to know if either engine is likely to be smoother in the fast lane. assuming identical wheels, is the 1.2L TSI gonna be quieter at 70mph? 90 mph?
    Last edited by rebecca412x; 18-09-20 at 12:22.

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0.

Are you thinking of buying something with a 1.2 or 1.4 TSI engine as you post isn't very clear?

You now show 2014 which model?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep that's right, 1.8L more than I need for sure so looking at 1.2/1.4. I don't have a car yet so no spec

Mods, feel free to delete or move to intros sorry
    2014 what?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rebecca412x View Post
    Hey guys I'm not exactly a car gal but want to get your thoughts on the experience and long term reliability of the smaller v larger engine in the TSI series (only talking about mk7)

1) the 4 cylinder, 16V engine range seems reasonably reliable if taken care of but cambelts seem to be an issue and will probably need replacing every 50k. Is there any reason either the smaller or larger engine would be more likely to break after 100,000+ miles as it's being "pushed harder" or is this just nonsense as with fuel injection the revs are same (are they?!)?

2) anyone have any sentiments on engine noise on motorways between the two? containment seems pretty good on Golfs but I do like my country music and would like to know if either engine is likely to be smoother in the fast lane. assuming identical wheels, is the 1.2L TSI gonna be quieter at 70mph? 90 mph?

Where will you be doing 90mph ? I thought the motorway outside lane was for overtaking only or have I got this wrong ?
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV EVO 1.5 TSI 130PS 5 Door Tornado Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes indeed, and the outside lane now recognised and referred to as a "fast lane".
    Well every day is certainly a learning day........
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    The small engines are awful things with all sorts of mechanical issues. The only decent engine is the 2L EA888 but that comes in the GTI as a minimum, it is a shame they did not do a 1.8 EA888 using the old Polo GTI engine and sell it as a GL or GT.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 – 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rebecca412x View Post
    Yep that's right, 1.8L more than I need for sure so looking at 1.2/1.4. I don't have a car yet so no spec
    Typical woman says a lot which means nothing useful.

Thread moved to the correct section.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    That isn’t very politically correct...
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 – 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    That isn’t very politically correct...
    In Keith's world it is just fine.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

10. Thanks Crasher thanked for this post
    Likes Crasher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

I don't think you've been very welcoming to a new forum member?

Rebecca asked a reasonable question about whether the 1.2 Golf 7 or 1.4 Golf 7 was the more reliable, and quieter, as she felt a 1.8 engine was overkill for her needs. Ok, she mentioned using the 'fast lane' and driving at 90 - but I've driven my Golf at 100+ on an autobahn in Germany just to keep out of the way of their white van men!

So far I'd think she is feeling pretty unwelcome here, as no one has bothered to help her out yet!
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Now that VW have ceased production of the Golf SV, and the Tiguan's driver interface is designed around a touchscreen, I have a Race Blue Skoda Karoq Sportline being built w/c 12th October as a replacement!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast