Thread: 2016 Golf SV 1.6 TDI lacks power??

Post Thanks / Like

2016 Golf SV 1.6 TDI lacks power??

2016 Golf SV 1.6 TDI lacks power??

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but would really appreciate people's insight into this. I've got a 2016 Golf SV 1.6 TDI, practical family car and to be honest I'm mostly happy with it..... However.... I've noticed that for a 1.6 it seems to be very very flat.

The main issue I've found is when going around the doors and getting to a steady 30 in third gear the moment you change to fourth the engine doesn't seem to like it, becomes quite noisy in the cabin, no real power at all on the accelerator (until I very slowly edge up to 40mph) and I end up changing back to third. This is becoming very irritating and makes the car a pain to drive.

Prior to buying it every review said the 1.6 was the better diesel engine when all taken into account. It cruises nicely on a motorway no issues there, it's just this lack of power on the local runs that's got me round the bend!!

Any insight anyone can offer or if you think this is unusual please let me know.

Thanks everyone!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the review lied .

With the 1.6 tdi in reality you only get a few more mpg over a 2.0 tdi as the 1.6 has to work harder ,whereas the 2.0 has the driveabilty of more low rpm and midrange torque and top end power .

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the turbo cutting in correctly?
    2014 Touran 1.6 TDI-CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanb View Post
    Is the turbo cutting in correctly?
    This is what I'm thinking, any idea how I would test it? I'd be amazed if this how the car was intended to perform

Post Thanks / Like
    I never had any problems with my 1.6TDI Golf Plus, and the performance was always more than adequate for my needs, so it sounds like something is wrong with the engine to my mind.

Is yours a manual gearbox or DSG? With my old Golf Plus DSG, I noticed it was very eager to change up at around 30 mph.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Now that VW have ceased production of the Golf SV, and the Tiguan's driver interface is designed around a touchscreen, I have a Race Blue Skoda Karoq Sportline being built w/c 12th October as a replacement!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's 1.6 manual, I'm starting to think something must be wrong. Even on the slightest incline at 30mph it loses power until you have to drop to 3rd

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, only what I've added from this thread.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Thread moved to the correct section.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

8. Likes Wooie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svvwfolg View Post
    This is what I'm thinking, any idea how I would test it? I'd be amazed if this how the car was intended to perform
    You should feel it cut in when you put your foot down, say in 2nd or 3rd.
    2014 Touran 1.6 TDI-CR