Thread: Starter motor cutting out

Post Thanks / Like

Starter motor cutting out

Hi,
    I got issue with 2011 Transporter T5 2.0 TDI BiTurbo 132kw. It started to cut out starter motor after 3 seconds. If it starts during 3 seconds it works perfectly fine if it doesnt I have to try start again.

No faults or anything unusual from diagnostics.

We tried to check relays and found that if you short relay 2 under battery(I found out by removing the relay and getting fault) you can turn motor over as much as you want and it always starts, but sometimes doesnt stop starter motor if engine starts.

Anyway its very frustrating and I have spent so many time on this

Maybe someone know what controls starter motor relays and what can make it cut out after 3 seconds.

This is the video how it looks in action:

Any feedback is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, only what I've added from this thread.

Is this your 2011 Transporter T5 2.0 TDI BiTurbo or are you trying to fix someone else's?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Its no good posting YouTube video's on here has they haven't played correctly in months they show as a black box.

Forum Software Update 20/12/16 & Issues YouTube video's don't play, which has been reported and no body will fix, nobody will fix.

Post Forum Software Update 20/12/16 & Issues

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2011-08/2015, Model: Transporter, Engine Code: CFCA, 132Kw, 180PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Common Rail (TDI-CR) BiTurbo
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Keith,

Sorry if this offended you but I was unaware of introductions. I am car mechanic and looking for solution.

The car was scanned with VCDS and it doesnt show any faults hence looking for help online

Looks like something is blocking starter relay without any reason.

I always come back with solution if found to make sure forum has valuable info added for people like myself in the future.
    By the way I checked the link you posted and youtube videos are shown perfectly fine from 2019 so not sure if its fixed.

I can remove video if required.
    2011 Transporter T5 2.0 TDI BiTurbo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by negyvas View Post

The car was scanned with VCDS and it doesnt show any faults hence looking for help online

Looks like something is blocking starter relay without any reason.
    Scanned with a genuine VCDS cable or a generic scanner?

That isn't an easy question to answer on a forum.

Start at the basics on the starter system.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    From your video, which I can view perfectly, that is exactly how the immobilser works but I would expect a dash warning and fault codes in the engine and immobilser. Private message me the vehicle's VIN so I can look at the wiring diagram.
    If you care about the future of the planet, read this and watch the video

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (28 September 1868 13 April 1956)

Post Thanks / Like
    I've copied the video link into my browser.

As suggested as that its an immobilizer problem.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.