Thread: 2006 Crafter LT won't start

Post Thanks / Like

2006 Crafter LT won't start

Dear All

Thank you for allowing me on your forum. I am new to this forum and have recently acquired a 2006 Crafter LT35 MWB 2.5 5 cyl TDI AVR engine high roof with the intention of making a camper out of it.

I got the vehicle and I was told the Cam belt and the pump belt was replaced recently. However after about 200km the engine had a bad tapping sound - Long story short the timing belt tension-er had snapped its spring. Needless to say the tension-er was attached to the engine with a foreign bolt with some silicon bath glue holding it in. The belt, bolts, tension-er was all replaced.

Since I got it the vehicle cut out the turbo whilst driving, like going into limp mode. I think the reason for that could be the hole I found in the rubber pipe to the engine from the inter-cooler. It messed oil over things on that side. The problem went away temporary if you shut it down and restart. The problem was getting progressively worse.

I was driving the vehicle yesterday and the engine just cut. I haven't managed to start it again. I was low on fuel and added another 2 L but whilst towing I also had not even a fire or smoke from it. It never did start easily from cold and smoked allot until it warmed up a little.

I come originally from the Mercedes type of sprinter LWB "bus" with the 602 5 cyl motor in it looks all the same as the crafter except for the engine, gearbox and front part. I am an ex computer company owner and relate to the computers in these vehicles as much the same.

The crafter I suspect is a crankshaft or a Camshaft sensor damaged or wiring gone. I have a code scanner but cannot connect it to the 14 pin socket and a little sceptic whether it will show any codes at all once the adaptor plug arrives.

To find these sensors I also am a little lost. I think the starting point is to strip the fire wall and get to the pump belt and see what this mechanic has glued together there or damaged of the wiring etc. There is a round thing at the back of the engine between the pump belt and the head that looks out of place!!

Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Bentleyafrica

Post Thanks / Like
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 2006 Crafter that engine code isn't a Crafter.

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/1996-07/2006, Model: LT, LT 4x4, Engine Code: AVR, 80Kw, 109PS, 2.5 Ltr, 5 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI), 4x4 Timing belt

Won't start how long is a piece of string.

That isn't an easy question to answer on a forum.

Start at the basics, is the battery good enough to provide the correct cranking speed.

Is it getting any diesel, loosen one of the injector pipes and crank it over for a quick check any diesel coming out. Does the fuel lift pump work?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Thread moved to the correct section for that engine code.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

3. Thanks bentleyafrica thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Keithuk,

Thank you for your reply. I do hope to become a long standing member however I am no expert and will try humbly contribute what I can.

At his stage I have a learning curve to attend with this strange motor I have in the crafter. In what vehicle did this motor the AVR 2.5 TDI come out in. It looks to me like a factory fitted motor with very little information on the web. motor AVR056133 vin no WV1ZZZ2DZ6H012605 South Africa.

I will update as to my progress and what I find.

Regards

Bentleyafrica
    2006 LT35 2.5 TDI AVR

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an update. I took the back pump belt cover off and had a look in there and this is what I found.
    The belt is new yes however the belt is very loose or slack. There are 2 tension-er pulleys if they have also snapped their springs like the front cam belt tension-er then I think I have the non starting problem. I suspect the belt has jumped a notch. The question is now how to get it back to where it should be. I have a new belt and tensioner I got when I redid the front cam belt in the kit.

I will post an update as I progress.

bentleyafrica
    2006 LT35 2.5 TDI AVR

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there again
    Yes the belt I suspect did jump 1 notch. The give-a-way was the tensioner should be held by the grove in the aluminium but was floating somewhere else I have a picture.

It starts now but runs only for about 5 seconds and smokes allot and smells of un-burnt diesel!! Need to do the timing but first need to gather some of those special gadgets. Have the feeling the timing wasn't where it should of been in the first place thus the smoking at starting.

Bentleyafrica
    2006 LT35 2.5 TDI AVR

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All

My last thread

Yes I have fixed it. Moved the timing belt 2 teeth clockwise all power is back. The air pipe was wrapped with some duct tape and the problem of turbo loss is now also a thing of the past. Will get another new pipe soon. Not sure yet how it will cold start.

Bentleyafrica
    2006 LT35 2.5 TDI AVR

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all

For what it's worth the repair with duct tape certainly works as a temporary fix. The pressure in this hose is just too much for it to handle and you can hear it blow past at times.

Other notes: The timing was out from when I got the van and thus it was over fuelling, rough idle and smoking badly at a cold start.
    The engine will start even if it is 2 teeth out but won't gain speed.
    One tooth out will run but serious pinging and loss of power. Turbo won't help here.

I hope I have been of some help to someone to repair their crafter.

Bentleyafrica
    2006 LT35 2.5 TDI AVR