Thread: Someone broke into my golf?

Post Thanks / Like

Someone broke into my golf?

Along with several other cars in my area, my 2018 Golf was broken into. There was no damage, but some change went and things thrown on the floor. The only other sign of entrance was the vehicle was left unlocked. I am sure I locked it. Do people know how this is done? Mine has a key. I keep the key in my house in a hidden position - failry close to the car. I can press the key to gain entry, but not to start it, this requires physically putting the key in the ignition?

I want to prevent it happening again.

thank you

Z
    2018 Golf SE BlueMotion NAV 1.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Have heard similar stories of Scroats using some sort of amplifier to imitate close proximity of the key , also heard that putting the key in a metal box helps shield it ...

John

Cocoa tin anyone?
    Last edited by John.P.Clegg; 15-10-20 at 08:37. Reason: me
    2005 Polo 9N3 1.4S 16v, Petrol, BKY engine, GRZ gearbox, 5 Speed

Post Thanks / Like
    Does you car have 'Keyless Entry'? That is as long as you have the key with you, you just walk up to the car and pull on the handle? If it has, then as John says there are ways of amplifying that signal and getting into your car - see https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-te...-keyless-theft

You need to shield your key when not using it.

But if you need to actually press the unlock button on your key, to unlock the car, then this isn't what happened to you. So the reason your car was unlocked are either:
    - you hadn't actually locked it,
    - someone else has a matching key combination (very unlikely as I understand it uses a rolling combination),
    - the lock was faulty,
    - you had inadvertently pressed the unlock button without realising it.

If the 'Safelock' was activated, then the age-old trick of sliding a wire down the door seal and pulling on the latch inside the car won't work.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Now that VW have ceased production of the Golf SV, and the Tiguan's driver interface is designed around a touchscreen, I have a Race Blue Skoda Karoq Sportline being built w/c 12th October as a replacement!

Post Thanks / Like
    No my car does not have keyless entry. I have to insert the key into the ignition. The thief did not steal my car, just some change, along with others in the street. I was wondering if a key (not keyless) car can still be hacked but onyl gives entry, not ability to drive off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
    Does you car have 'Keyless Entry'? That is as long as you have the key with you, you just walk up to the car and pull on the handle? If it has, then as John says there are ways of amplifying that signal and getting into your car - see https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-te...-keyless-theft

You need to shield your key when not using it.

But if you need to actually press the unlock button on your key, to unlock the car, then this isn't what happened to you. So the reason your car was unlocked are either:
    - you hadn't actually locked it,
    - someone else has a matching key combination (very unlikely as I understand it uses a rolling combination),
    - the lock was faulty,
    - you had inadvertently pressed the unlock button without realising it.

If the 'Safelock' was activated, then the age-old trick of sliding a wire down the door seal and pulling on the latch inside the car won't work.
    None of he above is true. I was not the only one that night to have this happen to them. I always lock my car, its unlikley that I and all my neighbours forgot on the same night. The thief would have had to have the combination for several cars - unlikely, there is no button to unlock the door as in older cars. T%he locks of four cars do not go faulty at the same time.
    Last edited by ZeroZero; 15-10-20 at 12:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was only trying to help... and to confirm that John's suggestions weren't applicable as you don't have a KESSY car.

If there were several incidents nearby, I agree individual failures to lock cars or whatever seem unlikely. But the only way to hack the old style car keys that I can think of is to capture the radio signals when you all locked your cars, and then repeat them... but even then, from my understanding of the VW 'rolling' signal where it changes each time to the next code in its memory, I can't see that working.

Have you reported the thefts to the police and consulted the experts in crime prevention?
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

Now that VW have ceased production of the Golf SV, and the Tiguan's driver interface is designed around a touchscreen, I have a Race Blue Skoda Karoq Sportline being built w/c 12th October as a replacement!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a trick that is used a lot here in shopping centres and the like - some SOB presses a garage door or gate remote while you try and lock your car with the car remote. It jams the signal from getting to the car, and the car is not locked, leaving the SOB whatever time he needs to open up cars and take what he wants. Most people just push the car remote to lock as they walk away and don't notice.
    As a result, most people here enable the alarm chime to help them hear when the alarm arms.
    2018 Passat B8 R-Line 2.0 162KW, Petrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Heard of the first paragraph details occurring in this particular septic isle.
    The final paragraph idea is foiled as many VW models have silent remote alarm arming.
    2015 Golf SV SE 1.4 TSI, DSG. Limestone grey. Sat Nav. F & R parking sensors. RVC. Digital climate control. Fog lamps.
    Wife: VW UP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
    I was only trying to help... and to confirm that John's suggestions weren't applicable as you don't have a KESSY car.

If there were several incidents nearby, I agree individual failures to lock cars or whatever seem unlikely. But the only way to hack the old style car keys that I can think of is to capture the radio signals when you all locked your cars, and then repeat them... but even then, from my understanding of the VW 'rolling' signal where it changes each time to the next code in its memory, I can't see that working.

Have you reported the thefts to the police and consulted the experts in crime prevention?
    Yes, I realise. Thank you for trying

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Belix View Post
    There is a trick that is used a lot here in shopping centres and the like - some SOB presses a garage door or gate remote while you try and lock your car with the car remote. It jams the signal from getting to the car, and the car is not locked, leaving the SOB whatever time he needs to open up cars and take what he wants. Most people just push the car remote to lock as they walk away and don't notice.
    As a result, most people here enable the alarm chime to help them hear when the alarm arms.
    I asm sure this happens, not in my case tohugh, as four other cars attacked same night