Thread: Vista/Win7 Sidebar weather gadget "Service not available"

Post Thanks / Like

Vista/Win7 Sidebar weather gadget "Service not available"

Hi guys/gals

I don't know if any of you use the sidebar gadgets but this is a useful tip if you do not just for weather but currency is disabled as well.

I installed Win7 yesterday on my laptop and the weather gadget said "Service not available." I found no useful solutions on Google.

I didn't like Win7 so I put Vista back and the weather gadget shows the same message, so is it a glitch on the weather system?

I Googled this error but nothing useful came back, all they said was check the region settings which are English (United Kingdom). I typed in London and New York but the service was still unavailable.

Further research it if you click on the link Get more gadgets in add gadgets appears M$ have disabled gadgets as they can be a security problem Microsoft Security Advisory: Vulnerabilities in Gadgets could allow remote code execution

I've searched the web for different weather gadgets and I found Weather Vista Gadget 1.1.0.6 I downloaded it and scanned for virus and malware all clear, I added it to the Windows Sidebar folder opened the gadgets and added the new weather. The old weather is there with the same picture so I unistalled that one. The new one works exactly the same as the old one.

All I can think its bad timing as it worked perfectly on Vista I put Win7 in and an hour later it isn't working, I put Vista back and it still doesn't work.

Additional Note:

If anyone uses Vista or Win7 and you want to remove the arrows from the desktop short-cuts let me know?
    Last edited by Keithuk; 07-03-13 at 03:24. Reason: Update
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    2010 Sharan SEL TDi (140), CFF 103KW, Deep Black, Winter Pack, Electric sliding doors, Panoramic roof, 225/50/R17, Sydney Alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I know how to remove the desktop shortcut arrows on Vista and Win7 and no one has asked, thats not the main point of this thread.

Option Three is the best method in that link.

On a side note I didn't like Win7 features so Vista went back.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Transmission Code: KXZ, Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've rebuilt my Windows 8 64bit laptop and updated the Windows sidebar gadgets from 8gadgetpack. There is Thoosje Windows Sidebar 8 but the weather gadget isn't as good.

I don't know whats wrong with the upload facility its taken 10 minutes to add a 2kb file and it still uploading.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is an old thread but the weather gadget has stopped working for the past week. I've added weather gadget from Most Wanted Windows Desktop Gadgets - Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista which have worked great for along time but one as stopped working. I've tried some from Weather Gadgets - Windows 7 Gadgets but they have stopped working this week.

There are plenty of weather gadgets available but I like specific location usually UK post codes search which there are very few in existance.

Today its started working today, stupid app.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is an old thread but the weather gadget has stopped working again the other day. I've bee using MSN weather gadget for along time but it stopped working showing getting data.

http://win7gadgets.com/weather/weather.html

The next day it started working.

A problem with laptops is people leave them plugged in all the time on charge. That isn't good for any battery, it need to be charged and discharged else the battery life is reduced.

I use a good app you can add to your desktop gadgets. Battery Meter Version 2.3

I've made my own wav file that says your battery needs charging rather that the default beeps. If anyone wants this wave file let me know?