1.6 Tdi CAYC. Mysterious problem

beeroclock

Hi all and Happy New Year

I am hoping that someone will be able to help me with a problem that I have with my sons SEAT Leon II 2010 1.6 tdi ecomotive VW/Audi CAYC engine.

A couple of weeks ago the car cut out for no apparent reason but started again after switching ignition off for a few seconds. The next day it did the same and started again after same procedure. The next day it did it again, started again but would only run in limp mode.

Now it will not start at all, although now and again it will fire up, run really rough for a few seconds and cut out.

The strange thing is that the management light is only showing during the few seconds of rough running.

I ran a diagnostic even though there was no management lights on and it came up with P228D00 – FUEL METERING VALVE, CONTROL VARIATION – PRESSURE TOO HIGH N- PERMANENT. I cleared the fault and it hasn’t shown itself since which makes me think that it could be an old one.

I run diagnostic and it only comes up with 001D38 – Unknown fault code. I don’t have access to a proper VCDS unfortunately.

Other than that the management lights do not light.

Anybody got any ideas please?
Much appreciated

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
You need a proper code read, you may only he able to see emissions related codes and not others such as crank speed sensor. Has it had a fuel filter recently?

beeroclock

Hi thanks again. I somehow seem to have created myself 2 accounts, sorry. Therefor asked the same question twice !!
I will delete the other one.
Yes just changed fuel filter to eliminate it from current problem.
I dont have access to VAG here ( I am in France) The dealers and garages are worse than the UK!!
Are they expensive to buy?
Cheers again

Last edited by a moderator:

2016b8

Used to drive a 1.6 CAYC myself, they are notorious for injector failure. It is usually the solenoid on top of the injector that fails. However as far as I can remember when it happened (several times, to me :mad:) it used to throw a flashing glow plug light. As Crasher said, a proper scan is necessary.

beeroclock

Cheers for your reply. Yeh I have tested the injectors for shorting and resistance and they are within spec. Obviously, it won't pick up on mechanical faults. I changed one injector last year. Too expensive to replace without knowing if they are defo at fault. Thanks for your effort in replying tho.
Cheers

beeroclock

Still having major problems with this. I came to the conclusion (wrongly) that the tank fuel pump was at fault but it wasn’t.

Its defo a fuel problem and I think now that it could be the HP pump.

I have had the injectors checked/leak back tested and all good.

On my little diagnostic machine I have the facility to check rail pressures but I don’t k now what they should be and I cant find anything conclusive on the net.

Can anyone help with this please?

I have these results but not sure what they mean.

These are all on cranking the engine over with the starter.

• Rail pressure, specified value 311 bar max
  • Rail pressure actual, 44 bar max
  • Rail pressure control deviation, 272 bar

Just to remind it’s a SEAT Leon with CAYC engine. 1.6 TDi

Thanks all

beeroclock

Hi all again

I still have not tracked this problem down, unfortunately.

Does anyone have or can tell me where I can get an ecu and components wiring diagram for 2010 seat Leon 1.6 tdi with CAYC engine please.

I know it is some kind of fuel pressure problem. At the moment I am trying to fault find/eliminate wiring loom faults between the ecu and its components.

I am struggling to identify what wire does what and where it goes.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance

Nigel

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
You can download all the dealer information from ErWin for 7 Euro per hour and in a couple of hours you can download and save as a pdf everything but you need to be organised and have a good chunk of disc space.

beeroclock

Looks good but I have a metered internet connection and that would give me problems downloading that much data.
cheers
Nigel

beeroclock

Hi all, quick update.
I think, and I say cautiously, that I may have sorted it.
Once I establish exactly what I have done I will update everyone.
Thanks for your input so far.