1.6 tdi fuel filter repaced but not starting - HELP!

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
Link isnt working What pump ended up working for you? im having the same issue now i just need to find a suitable vacuum pump any help would be greatly appreciated.

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0.

That link doesn't work for me either.

Did you check it before you posted?

ravinez

If you know anyone who works in a hospital, see if they can get you a 60ml catheter tip syringe and use it to suck the air through the pump. I had the same no-start problem following a fuel filter replacement, even after priming with VCDS. Sucked a good bit of air through using the syringe until I started getting diesel and engine started first time.

Thank you very much for this suggestion: it perfectly worked also for me and solved this known issue!

After the 2 previous fuel filter replacements, I always activated the in-tank pump using VCDS, even for over 5 minutes in total, but the engine did not start (or, to be more precise: it started for 5-6 seconds, then it stalled because of fuel high pressure drop, then it did not start anymore!), even if the fuel filter bowl was -obviously- full of fuel.
Last time, I also tried to disconnect the return hose from high pressure pump to filter bowl and then activated again the in-tank pump (to help flushing the air from the HPP), but it did not help: for sure there was some kind of air lock inside the high pressure pump, and it was clear that just the in-tank pump flow/pressure was not enough to remove it, at least on my Golf 1.6 TDI 77kW CAYC engine (instead, a friend of mine with a Skoda Rapid with the same engine does not have this issue: he simply activates the in-tank pump for 2 minutes and that's it; but I don't know if his high pressure pump is exactly the same of mine).

This time, instead, I activated (as usual) the in-tank pump for 3-4 minutes; then, I disconnected the supply hose from filter to HPP and, using exactly a 60 ml syringe, injected some fuel; then, I reconnected this hose and disconnected the return hose from HPP to filter and, with the same syringe, sucked air from the HPP return.
Engine started first time and did not stalled (fuel high pressure value read from VCDS was immediately stable on target after engine start and did not drop, that means that the high pressure pump was working perfectly).

;)

Last edited:

paradise city

Thank you very much for this suggestion: it perfectly worked also for me and solved this known issue!

After the 2 previous fuel filter replacements, I always activated the in-tank pump using VCDS, even for over 5 minutes in total, but the engine did not start (or, to be more precise: it started for 5-6 seconds, then it stalled because of fuel high pressure drop, then it did not start anymore!), even if the fuel filter bowl was -obviously- full of fuel.
Last time, I also tried to disconnect the return hose from high pressure pump to filter bowl and then activated again the in-tank pump (to help flushing the air from the HPP), but it did not help: for sure there was some kind of air lock inside the high pressure pump, and it was clear that just the in-tank pump flow/pressure was not enough to remove it, at least on my CAYC engine.

This time, instead, I activated (as usual) the in-tank pump for 3-4 minutes; then, I disconnected the supply hose from filter to HPP and, using exactly a 60 ml syringe, injected some fuel; then, I reconnected this hose and disconnected the return hose from HPP to filter and, with the same syringe, sucked air from the HPP return.
Engine started first time and did not stalled (fuel high pressure value read from VCDS was immediately stable on target after engine start and did not drop, that means that the high pressure pump was working perfectly).

;)
Glad it worked out for you!