1979 rear light issue

bodgeandscarper

Hi
Wondering if anyone could shine some light on my rear lights issue !
I have a 1979 LHD westie
When I put the lights on low everything works, as in, the lights on the dash and the rear lights are on and working. As soon as its flicked on to main or full beam the only thing that works are the front lights nothing else.
Again pardon the pun this is a stab in the dark but its sounds like a relay issue but that is a wild guess.
I can take photos but would not know where to start. Any help would be much appreciated

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Download this https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_79_color.jpg

It is a LONG time since I did any T2 wiring but looking at the switch between current tracks 24 and 32 I think the only culprit must be the switch itself as the headlights are fed from the X terminal of the ignition switch and the others line 30 terminal from the ignition switch but both go through the light switch.

bodgeandscarper

Hi thanks for that. I had a quick look today and there has been wires cut and removed some just taped up, just the usual scenario with a 40 plus year old van.
Im going to buy a switch tomorrow for the sake of £20, its worth a try. Not ruling out the dodgy earth although the switch does seem to be more logical. Fingers crossed it that works. I will let you know.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Imagine yourself 50 years in the future and you are tinkering with a 40 year old T7 van that has had its 396v electric system spliced and taped... 💥