2002 2litre petrol cutting out

OuBallie

Hello all,

Just posted on ‘New Members’ page.

Car is owned by my ‘OtherHalf’ who is a nurse working night shifts.

The problem:

Car has started to cut out at random intervals whilst she’s driving, with all electrics dead.

Happened when I was passenger the other day, and it was as if the ignition and been switched off.

Easy and quick to restart, but I consider it dangerous now as it was a little scary to say the least.

She didn’t panic in the least thank goodness.

Local non-VW garage has had a look twice now but no luck so far.

Going to pick it up this afternoon as she needs it for Monday duty.
HELP!

Geoff - Fingers crossed

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
How long is a piece of string?

You post no history of what has been done to your New Beetle.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Wait until Crasher reads this thread as he is the expert on VAG vehicles.

OuBallie

Piece of string:eek:

Had many intermittent faults in electrical control circuits during my career that drove me crazy:mad:

Will do as soon as I find a garage that can do the scan, in Diss, South Norfolk

First time I’ve dealt with a modern having problems.

Mine are classics.

Geoff

Last edited:

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
MODERN! You ain’t seen nothing yet... personally I have stopped at the same platform her car is on, what we call the PQ34 but mine has the Skoda Octavia estate body on it, yes they are the same under the skin. When you say it cuts out, do systems such as wipers, lights, heater etc continue and is it just the engine cutting out?

OuBallie

Hello Crasher,

Had a dicky tum yesterday so wasn’t keeping watch on the forum, hence late response. :(

It’s as if she had turned the ignition off, everything dead and pretty scary, and has happened on a number of occasions now.
I thought maybe a loose connection or something in/with ignition switch/barrel as it felt somewhat worn as I twiddled with it with engine running back home, stationary of course, but couldn’t repeat any fault.

Trying to find a garage in the Diss, South Norfolk area that can do a quick check is proving to be a nightmare.

Geoff - Feeling normal today :)

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
It could be a faulty ignition switch or crank speed sensor and the former will never show as a fault code and the latter rarely. A faulty ECU relay can also do this and again will not leave a fault code... what we were promised on Tomorrow’s world in the 80’s was a lie...

OuBallie

Friend of other half suggested a mechanic just a couple of miles away who did a scan whilst we waited.
Taken my brain far too long to figure out how to post photo of scan below

D8BAB695-97EB-4246-86F3-9B5822B70C44.jpeg

Geoff - Getting too bleep old for this malarkey :D
edit:
Fiddled with size of photo

Attachments

• 7B779F07-ECF6-45FF-B297-DE82C35D659F.jpeg
    7B779F07-ECF6-45FF-B297-DE82C35D659F.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
What was that picture scanned with as it wasn't VAG-COM\VCDS.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

If you have a VAG-COM\VCDS scan that will show a log file which you can post in CODE tags.

As the only one underlined is Immobilizer P1570.

The engine will only start for a couple of seconds then cut out with the warning light on in the dash.

VW and Audi key, remote, and immobilizer FAQ and troubleshooting

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
It is odd the engine ECU reports an immobiliser error but the dash does not show a problem as this contains the immobiliser so you would expect a low key signal code.

OuBallie

Thanks Keithuk.
Used Diss Autocare as they did the scan straightaway.
Didn’t realise it wasn’t VAG.
Will book a time with Willow Tree Cars, Rose Lane, Diss.
I assume from your post that not all scans are equal then?
Changed the battery in key fob as it was replace 5+ years old.

Geoff

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The immobilser in the dash and the central convenience system (alarm, locks, windows) are two completely separate systems (which do communicate with each other). The battery in the key fob is purely for the remote control operation of the convenience system whereas the chip for the immobilser is in the lower section of the key and is powered inductively by the coil around the ignition switch.