gstsaver

2006 Beetle 1.6L BFS

The upper intake was whistling so I removed it and the issue is the 'valve' underneath it. (I believe on newer ones the valve is on top)

Anyway there is a membrane on what is similar to newer pcv membranes. THere is also a pivot arm attached to it and that is what is broken (along with a tear in the membrane).
The dealer doesn't sell a new part to fix it, just the entire upper intake that is upgraded and has that part on the top instead (slighlty different though) and then I also would have to buy the new valve for the top. It would be over 1K for that.
Has anyone else had this issue and if so, have they been able to find a replacement part or work around ?

I can get a used upper intake but I am not sure it won't have the same issue as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
There is a repair kit for the membrane 06A 198 205 A which is still a harsh £89.11 but the complete upper section of the manifold is £405.37 plus a few fittings.

gstsaver

There is a repair kit for the membrane 06A 198 205 A which is still a harsh £89.11 but the complete upper section of the manifold is £405.37 plus a few fittings.
That is for the membrane that goes on top isn't it? That is not where mine is, mine is on the bottom..

gstsaver

Hi, that is the valve that is on top. Mine has nothing in that spot and my valve is underneath

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes in the illustration on ETKA but it makes no mention of an earlier type and neither does ELSA the workshop system plus it is a while since I worked on one. Can I have the VIN or reg my conversation message.

gstsaver

I got an updated one but used at the salvage yard. This one has the valve on top but still has the one underneath as well. (I guess they all do but just don't show it on the parts diagrams for some reason)
Anyway, after replacing the O2 sensor and that upper intake it still idles poorly and doesn't start real easy. The only code it throws is a too lean. I have checked all the vacuum lines and I can't see any leaks. I will be replacing plugs and leads anyway but doubt this will fix it.
I did the throttle body adaptation a couple times to be sure...but still poor or surging idle speed (800 to 840 up and down)