2006 Toureg 2.5TDI Engine Code BAC - Hose identification??

TommyLT

Hi All,

I've just changed the water pump on the 2.5 straight 5 engine code BAC. On the side of the water pump housing are two drain screws one is a basic plug and the other a banjo bolt, I wondered if anyone can tell me what the banjo bolt feeds/drains as it was totally blocked, It looked like oil sludge inside the bolt. The hose from it disappears under the insulation down towards the sump, that's as far as I can see due to the cramped conditions.

Any info much appreciated thanks.

Drain Plugs 1.jpg

Bolt 2.jpg
Bolt.jpg

Nut.jpg

TommyLT

Thanks, don't think it's been cooling anything for a long time by the looks of it.
Elsawin just calls them drain plugs and says to be removed before the pump extraction. Another thing it says is engine must not be at tdc?
The pump came out ok(ish) but there were a few scary times when i wondered what was moving..... the pump or the puller, or even if the puller bolt was rounding off. Absolute pig of a job with no room to move and most of the work being done blind, just by feel.

TommyLT

I had to investigate it further (something I didn't really want to do) as the hose was blocked also, turns out it's a weep hole drain for the water pump. The other end of the hose doesn't attch to anything it's just tucked behind the insulation that sits around the sump.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
When that blocks, the water pump (when it leaks) allows the water into the engine which raises the oil level until it blows it into the engine which then has been known to cause runaway which car/van killing consequences. I like the sound of the engine and the torque of the 174PS model (but not the stupid fuel system design peculiar to that model) but it is SO expensive and such hard work to repair, much too complex for a commercial vehicle and in the Touareg that you have to take the engine out to properly do a new cam drive or head gasket is stupid.