2016 Polo 1.4 SEL TDi wipers stuck on intermittant and won't switch off totally

stephenc

My wife's Polo remains on the intermittant wipe even when switched off. It moves to the fast position ok but I'm unable to stop the front wipers irrespective of the position we put the wiper stalk in.

On a long drive recently, I had to remove the fuse to stop them.

Is there an easy way to determine where the fault might be?

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
How long is a piece of string?

Have you fitted any electrical equipment?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

stephenc

Have you fitted any electrical equipment?
I have not fitted any electrical equipment to the car.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
I scanned it and it brought up a number of fault codes probably because I'd run the car with the fuse [F8] removed. I then cleared the codes, let the engine run with the wipers is differerent positions, ran the test again but it came through completely clear without any faults at all.
Mileage: 32082km-19934miles

01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
10-Park/Steer Assist -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
55-Headlight Range -- Status: OK 0000
5F-Information Electr. -- Status: OK 0000

stephenc

Should I consider replacing the wiper stalk or the wiper motor?

To be clear, all the wiper stalk positions operate the wipers at the correct speed for each selection. It's just that even when the wipers are switched off, they remain on the intermittant wipe.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Go into address 09 for the central electrics, then into advanced measuring blocks and look for the steering column switch input positions. If they make sense I would be more inclined to think the central electrics unit is faulty rather than the motor.

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
Clearing/erasing error codes only clears the ecu then you drive the car around for a while and do a rescan to see if the same error codes come back.

Why was fuse 8 removed in the first place?

stephenc

Clearing/erasing error codes only clears the ecu then you drive the car around for a while and do a rescan to see if the same error codes come back.
I know, I'd just hoped it would have come up immediately after clearing them but it has just appeared and I'm about to post an image of it in reply to Crashers post.

I drove over 200 miles on a sunny day. With the wipers running at intermittant there may not have been much rubber left on the blades :D

stephenc

Ran the test again and the windscreen wiper washer switch fault code came up.

I then ran it in advanced mode but I'm not sure I have recorded what you were looking for.

Stripped the stg cowl back a bit to reveal the part number for the switch - 6C0.953.513 Do you think it would be safe enough to order a new one in case it's something else at fault? I'm a bit worried about stripping it any further as it looks like the stg wheel has to come off and I don't like working around airbags.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 08-25-20 at 07.28 PM.pdf
    115.1 KB · Views: 12

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have not fitted any electrical equipment to the car.

01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
10-Park/Steer Assist -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
55-Headlight Range -- Status: OK 0000
5F-Information Electr. -- Status: OK 0000

When was this VCDS scan done its dated 21/08/20?

Well that part is ok but the PDF file shows, if the wipers are on all the time.

VAG Error Code: 227387/227355
EOBD II Error Code: B1149

Fault Location:
Windshield Wiper/Washer Switch (E22) - Open Circuit

Possible Cause:
Wiring/Connector(s).
Windshield Wiper\Washer Switch (E22).

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software

stephenc

Something very strange has happened. Yesterday we went out in the Polo and found that the wipers were behaving as they should. When the wipers were turned off, they stayed off. They worked as they should on the other positions.

I'm baffled as I did nothing other than wiggle the switch around a bit to get the part number. I also connected it to the VCDS but didn't clear any codes. The fault has been there for weeks.

Not sure if it will return but thanks to Crasher & Keithuk for the support and advice.

stephenc

As an update, the problem returned a day after. My mechanic diagnosed it as a switch in the first instance and so I got one. When he removed the switch, he found the terminals to be corroded and was able to clean them. This fix seems to have worked and a week later I'm able to return the replacement switch.

sledwich

hi I have got exactly the same issue, just out of interest which fuse did you pull out to stop the wipers?

I have attempted to check the connection to the stalks in behind the steering wheel but the connections all look good, I am thinking that new stalks maybe the only way forward.

Apologies for resurrecting a year old thread, but interestingly my polo is also a 2016.