2017 Golf GTI on 19" Brescias... downsizing advice please

lightbody

Hi,

A few months ago I bought a 67 plate Golf GTI with 19" Brescia alloys (factory fitted) along with the DCC. If I'd bought the car new I'd never have even considered the bigger wheels, its just how it came and it was otherwise a good car.

Despite having the DCC, I don't think I'm going to be able to stand the 19" wheels on our terrible Scottish roads - the hard bang that you get when you hit even a smallish pothole just puts my teeth on edge. But I do like how they look. I'm considering going down to 18" or even 17" wheels... but I think the standard GTI wheels are a bit too "common" for me. I'd just store the original wheels until I come to sell, seeing as they're original factory fitment for this car.

Suggestions and advice appreciated please!

- Rob

SpikyBob

Which make/profile/width tyres are fitted and what’s your pressure?
A real outside bet would be to check the transport wedges on the dampers have been removed. After three years it would be unusual for this to have gone unnoticed. New cars have had this missed on pdi causing terrible ride quality!
I have the “common” 18 inch alloys and on the Potenzas from factory the ride was a little harsh, for winter I have Goodyear Vector 4 seasons, the ride comfort is noticeably better from a comfort point of view. Much better traction in snow and ice as can be expected!

lightbody

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'll check for the transport wedges but i don't think it's quite as bad as it would be with them in! It's just the state of the roads here, they're really bad.

It's got pirelli p zero tyres on it. 225/35 R19 88Y

My previous Golf was a GT with 17" wheels on it, and it felt plenty firm to me!

Thanks

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
225/40 18 would be a lot nicer on 7.5x18 wheels but there are not many in this size, 8x18 seems to spoil it. The other factor could be XL tyres but I like these due to their lower rolling resistance.

lightbody

Can someone advise please - are Polo 18" Brescia's the same size as the standard Golf GTI wheel?

And a similar question - were both 18" and 19" Brescias available as an option for the Golf 7/7.5? The reason I ask is that the Golf Brochure - attached shows the Brescia twice, but I'm thinking its a misprint and the first should be the 18" option?

Attachments

• Brescia screenshot.jpg
    Brescia screenshot.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 1

dj_ek

If you care what they look like, 17s are a good compromise.

If your priority is comfort and fuel economy, you may even wish to look at 16s. If I had my way then this is what I’d have chosen from the factory, but then I drive a Touran so my priorities are maybe different to yours!

lightbody

My mk6 GT had 17" on it and was absolutely fine - firm but not too much so. I agree what you say about 17 or even 16, but I do want the proper sporting drive of the GTI, and from reading elsewhere the 18 to 19 jump seems like the one that is the "step too far".

SpikyBob

Consider notifying your insurers if you change your wheels significantly- they could get cranky with a claim otherwise.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Many decades ago, mid eighties, one one my customers was T boned by another car jumping a red light and the car recovered to us. The accessor came and viewed it and next thing we knew we were in the middle of a battle where the insurance company were trying to pull out because it had the wrong wheels. These were aftermarket ones but of the exact same and correct dimensions as the steels they replaced and it took mentions of the ombudsman for them to see sense.

lightbody

Hi,

Coming back to mention what my final decision was. I've been enjoying the 19" wheels with P-zero tyres during summer during some spirited driving - they are terrific in corners. However during the daily grind in urban areas the BANG when they hit even a small pothole is still a pain.

For winter, I've now bought four 7.5x17" Brooklyn wheels, which are standard fitment to my car in other markets. I'll be putting Michelin Crossclimate 2 tyres on it (225/45) and it will be interesting to see what a difference it makes, I'm hoping it will be a fair bit more comfortable, as the roads get much worse here once the bad weather hits.

- Rob

dj_ek

Hi,

Coming back to mention what my final decision was. I've been enjoying the 19" wheels with P-zero tyres during summer during some spirited driving - they are terrific in corners. However during the daily grind in urban areas the BANG when they hit even a small pothole is still a pain.

For winter, I've now bought four 7.5x17" Brooklyn wheels, which are standard fitment to my car in other markets. I'll be putting Michelin Crossclimate 2 tyres on it (225/45) and it will be interesting to see what a difference it makes, I'm hoping it will be a fair bit more comfortable, as the roads get much worse here once the bad weather hits.

- Rob
Excellent choice of both wheel and tyre.