2021 Touareg Factory order production delays!!!

Love_VAG

Hello everyone.

Currently I’m on the waiting list for my new Touareg Black Edition. Ordered end of May. I added few extras, that’s why my order became factory order. On the day I ordered, I was told my new car going to be delivered November. Month ago dealer updated, car going to be made beginning 2022. Last update I just got now middle 2022. Reasons for delay, semiconductor shortage.

It’s anyone can share theirs experience buying new Touareg in this COVID pandemic and semiconductor shortage period, especially factory ordered ones. Probably I’m not the one who is waiting for theirs new car.

Thanks anyone who can share any info.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
It is affecting all car manufactures except Tesla who make their own chips in many cases. The other problem is car manufactures tend to use old design chips as they need their systems to be relevant over a long production period and to be supportable for at eat 10 years or more, cars last a lot longer than mobile phones so when they all cancelled what were ostensibly legacy chips, the semi conductor manufactures partially scrapped the lines and then the expected collapse in sales due to Covid didn't happen, instead car manufactures cause their own sales collapse by not being able to build them.

HKH

Hi, I've a similar issue, ordered my new Touareg R Hybrid with extras end of March '21, original delivery date was 14 weeks later which was 1st week in July, During July I was informed build was now week 44 (1st Nov), we are now week 45 and it still hasn't hit the production line, it's at the "paperwork" stage awaiting to hit production! Dealership have informed me, when they know, I will!!!! This is 2021, not 1921!! How can they not give us a date? 8mths on, still waiting...... patiently 🙁

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
They can't give you a date as the chip manufactures won't give them a date. If it was 1921 we wouldn't have this problem, cars have become too complex and it is only going to get worse.

Simon0372

Same for me.. Black edition ordered April 2021.. Latest date is 14th Feb 2022. But this will slip again.. Not much I can do, just going to have to wait..

mxw150

Has anyone had any update from their dealers recently ?
I’m in a similar boat with my 3.0 286ps diesel black edition delayed from September 2021 to around March 2022.

I passed a new vehicle transporter today with 2 unregistered Touareg BEs on them so hopefully this is a sign that they are coming through - albeit slowly.

Also wondering if any dealers have mentioned reduced specs or options missing ? Haven’t heard anything from mine but have read about other manufactures like Merc, Audi and BMW bringing cars through with certain features omitted.

SadClouds

One of the reasons for the chip shortages is due to the supply chains. A lot of these components are manufactured in the far east, where human labour is cheap. The over-reliance on those supply chains is a big issue when something global occurs - pandemics, trade wars, natural disasters, etc. The western countries need to bring manufacturing closer to home, and the consumers need to be prepared to pay a bit more for their products. We live in a disposable society where cars, phones, computers, etc. get discarded way before their EOL time. This really needs to change.

Another possible reason is more complex and bloated software requiring more powerful chips. It costs more to produce those chips and the yields could be lower. So if you spec your cars with all of the fancy features - sat nav, digital dashboard, lane assist, traffic sign recognition, and other useless gadgets, then be prepared to wait.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The western countries need to bring manufacturing closer to home, and the consumers need to be prepared to pay a bit more for their products.

That's never going to happen, the tinterweb makes it so easy to buy cheap far eastern rubbish that people always will, when it comes down to basics, buy cheap as humanly possible as the vast majority of people only care about one thing, their own bank balance.

mxw150

I’m in a similar boat with my 3.0 286ps diesel black edition delayed from September 2021 to around March 2022.

I passed a new vehicle transporter today with 2 unregistered Touareg BEs on them so hopefully this is a sign that they are coming through - albeit slowly.

Also wondering if any dealers have mentioned reduced specs or options missing ? Haven’t heard anything from mine but have read about other manufactures like Merc, Audi and BMW bringing cars through with certain features omitted.
Now Build week 8 (unconfirmed) ☹️

wilsog7

Ordered mid-July for estimated delivery end of December. Went back to January, March, June and now August. Not holding my breath to see it in 2022, as ridiculous as that sounds.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The car manufacturers are desperate to build cars but cannot because of a chip shortage, Jaguar Land Rover have a years worth of orders they cannot fulfil and there are stories of manufactures building and storing incomplete cars for later installation of controllers.

wilsog7

I'm kinda past caring now and have just taken the view I'll see it when I see it, but the one thing that does frustrate me is I'm fairly sure we're being bumped down the queue compared to orders of other models. For example, we ordered my wife an ID.3 in December. Estimated delivery in May. Less than half the wait I'm being quoted for a Touareg at the moment. So either they're lying about the ID.3 and will push the date back in the fullness of time, or they're prioritising ID.3's (and others?) to the detriment of customers ordering other models. I'm sure we all understand the chips issue, but surely all orders should be moved along in date order not the order VW think is more important to them.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t know the chip applications deeply but certainly VW are going to prioritise electric cars as they are so much less complex to get type approval and make huge profits; big internal combustion vehicles are a liability to companies selling cars in Europe as they can easily incur massive penalties PER CAR per gram of CO2 over punitive limits and the EU is falling over itself to promote EV’s.

Sub564

Ordered mid-July for estimated delivery end of December. Went back to January, March, June and now August. Not holding my breath to see it in 2022, as ridiculous as that sounds.
Same time ordered black edition been told many dates even lastest is early part of near year 22 but I know this will slip again even the dealer doesn't update us now we have to as ask them would think now may

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
If the manufacturer does not know when they will be able to build the car, how can the dealer be expected to know? Personally I get the feeling the supplies of chips are being heavily directed to the VAG models which don’t have an internal combustion engine, this way they can ship cars and avoid huge and punitive EU fines they incur for EACH AND EVERY car made like the one you have on order, 1000 Euro or more per gram for each car made over a blanket CO2 figure. One day this CO2 obsession is going to come back and bite governments all over the world right where it hurts.

theguru83

Touareg R factory ordered in July 2021, for delivery in October 2021. It's been pushed back several times, and it was delayed again last week until August 2022, but I don't trust them. Like many other people have said, they are prioritising other lower CO2 models, and blaming the semiconductor shortage. (you can build about 10 ID3s for each Touareg, so I can imagine VW would rather do that).

At least JLR said that the lead time had become a year up front, so customers were aware before they placed an order. VAG have been treating customers terribly by advertising normal lead times, only to continually delay cars after accepting the order. The factory does not provide dealers any useful information, so the dealers are guesstimating in any update they give you. VAG are indeed stockpiling cars awaiting the chips to go on when they get their deliveries, but how can such a massive operation not be able to plan properly, and anticipate delays?

Touareg deliveries have been making it to the UK....but the ones I'm aware of are large orders placed by leasing firms. Unless you have a 'confirmed' build week, then VW can keep on pushing your slot back. Interested to hear from anyone if they've been given a confirmed build week for their Touareg entering the UK market? I work for a leasing firm. The bulletins we get from VW show the Touareg on a 40+ week lead time for new orders, and the supply has a red traffic light.

I emailed VW customer services about this. They said semiconductor shortage blah blah, but then said the delay has been escalated and actual customer orders would be prioritised in the order they were received. Seems like there's a few people who have been waiting ~10 months, and not even a build slot yet.

On the Touareg R specifically, they released the car into the UK market 1 year later than they said they would, and then all they seem to have done is built enough cars for the Press Office. They didn't build any for actual customers!

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Well I don't have a car on order (it would be nice to be able to) but I have been well aware of VW's delivery problems for at least a year due to chip shortages, it has been in the mainstream media for months.

Sub564

30/7 Just pressed the leasing company for any details today on my order new date week 23 6 June unconfirmed lol strange the lease company have v6 petrol in stock just come in more money per month then my Diesel but strange they have these same spec black edition.