7 Speed DSG Recall for the UK Anounced, Comments Please.

Ash1

Splitty13 - I have just had the OIL in my 7 speed DSG gearbox changed! I showed the service manager your responses to this thread - "It is a DRY gearbox" etc - and your responses to Kate1404's innocent query, and they were appalled at your so called 'knowledge' and attitude! In fact, they doubt that you work for a VAG dealership, as staff are encouraged to be much more polite and know that the 7 speed DSG has got oil in it!

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The recall is for an oil change but not for the reason you would think. The synthetic gearbox oil which is lubricant for the gears and differential causes corrosion to the Mechatronic units wiring which makes a fuse blow, there is a thread about this on here. There is also oil inside the Mechatronic unit itself but this cannot be changed or topped up.

cangavi

Hi,

just joined this forum from Spain. I own a Polo 1.4 7-speed DSG and was called by the car dealer where I bought the car as there was a campaign to replace the oil of the DSG gearbox. Car had been working fine until then, no issues with the gearbox whatsoever, but decided to take the car to the vw workshop as it was highly recommended. Got the car back after a couple of days. Last sunday, 6 weeks after I had taken the car to the dealer the car failed while driving out from a parking lot, lots of dashboard lights and chimes came on. I stopped the engine immediately, when i tried to restart again it wouldn't. Got the car towed to the car dealer and they have told me that the fuse of the Mechatronics blows all the time, meaning the box is short circuited and needs to be replaced. They would not accept responsibility of the failure despite is a problem originated after the service has been done. Still waiting for the repair quote that I believe is going to be quite painful. Does anybody have information whether or not VW should accept liability for this? Looks like bulletin 34F6 which is allegedly the one applied to the car involves not only replacing the oil but the installation/setup of new software for the control unit, would this update may have damage the gearbox?
I would really appreciate if anyone who has had this or a similar problem could provide information so I can fight against the dealer and request to cover the repair under warranty.
Thanks

jauad128

Hi I HAVE VW golf 2010, took to vw for a DS200 Oil change from synthetic to mineral, after driving did not feel as smooth and gear changing felt harsh, so i phoned them 2 days later and explained, they replied no problem if any problems come and see us, 4 days later car stops message on dash STOP GEARBOX OVERHEATED, so i read manual, it says leave to cool down before driving again, so i wait till next day and still the same GEARBOX OVERHEATED, but car is now cool???, SO i contact VW roadside assistance get towed to vw main dealer, then next day they phone and say, we have diagnosed the problem it is the mechatronics unit control failure and that will be £1550, as you can imagine jaw wide open, i went on to explain that my car was fine before vw touched my car, they replied sorry sir the work we did has nothing to do with the mechatronics, So i done some research, and after reading statements FROM VW it has EVERYTHING to do with the mechatronics, so i contact them and ask in WRITING for the reason for the ds200, oil change, and why the mechatronics has failed, also you have said to 2 are not related,

i then get a call back saying after correspondence from VW Germany we have decided to replace the mechatronics, however if any further damage was done to gearbox we can not take responsibility, Oh and part can take 2 weeks,

i wonder can anyone give some advice?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, just joined this forum from Spain. I own a Polo 1.4 7-speed DSG and was called by the car dealer where I bought the car as there was a campaign to replace the oil of the DSG gearbox. Car had been working fine until then, no issues with the gearbox whatsoever, but decided to take the car to the vw workshop as it was highly recommended. Got the car back after a couple of days. Last sunday, 6 weeks after I had taken the car to the dealer the car failed while driving out from a parking lot, lots of dashboard lights and chimes came on. I stopped the engine immediately, when i tried to restart again it wouldn't. Got the car towed to the car dealer and they have told me that the fuse of the Mechatronics blows all the time, meaning the box is short circuited and needs to be replaced. They would not accept responsibility of the failure despite is a problem originated after the service has been done. Still waiting for the repair quote that I believe is going to be quite painful. Does anybody have information whether or not VW should accept liability for this? Looks like bulletin 34F6 which is allegedly the one applied to the car involves not only replacing the oil but the installation/setup of new software for the control unit, would this update may have damage the gearbox?
I would really appreciate if anyone who has had this or a similar problem could provide information so I can fight against the dealer and request to cover the repair under warranty.
Thanks

No way, you should fight this and refuse to pay, the recall was supposed to stop this problem. Contact VW Customer services in Spain and give them hell!

Delores

Took my December 2010 Golf into Arnold Clark VW today, where I bought the car in February this year, for the free* 7 speed UK recall fix (34F6) only to get a phone call a couple of hours later - "the system's showing a pre-existing error - it's £75 for a diagnostic to assess the problem. We can't do the recall repair until this is done" So let's see, that's £75. To assess the issue.

Me: "but the recall letter specifically states 'the work required...will of course, be performed free of charge'

Them: "umm, yeah, this fault isn't directly related to that. This is something else gearbox/clutch related. And VW UK have directed us that 34F6 will not fix a pre-existing DSG fault. Costs for this work need to be processed as a separate repair. (The mechanic actually gave me that in writing, it's longer, but that's the gist of it)

Me: "Does the car's computer show when the fault first showed?" Them: "4 days ago. Have you noticed any problems" Me: "Nope"

Draw your own conclusions. I know I have.

*Not really as it turns out.

By the way approx 11,500 miles on this car.

stinky84

Got a 2009 Golf 1.4TSI DSG which has done just over 22,000 miles and had the mineral oil change from synthetic done in July, two days ago whilst driving at 70mph in outside lane of motorway about 140 miles into a journey the car just lost all drive, engine would rev but like being in neutral.
Scary time as had just passed slip road off and no hard shoulder until after the slip road on finished and to make matters worse the road started to go uphill.
Managed to get into middle lane ok then eventually into the slow lane, got past the slip road on where the hard shoulder started again and pulled over to the relative safety of the hard shoulder.
Stopped the engine, started it again, put into drive but engine just revved and no drive, tried selecting individual gears- no joy, phoned RAC who towed me off the motorway the stopped and put his computer on showing multiple faults on the gearbox, tried to clear them but one still there so towed to VW dealership and left for them to look at on Monday and got a train to my destination.
I'm home now but car 140 miles away.
Seems like the fault is exactly what is described as the reason for the oil change from synthetic to manual so maybe that wasn't the answer.
The guy at the dealers said they had just had to put a new DSG box in a 61 reg Golf but that was under warranty, hope mine isn't as bad and wondering if VW will cough up for the repair but won't hold my breath.
Anyone had a similar problem and managed to get it sorted by VW?

Well it was the mechatronics unit that was gone so the change oil from synthetic to mineral didn't prevent it from blowing the fuses.
They replaced the unit which had to come from Germany as they are part programmed to suit the individual car at the factory.
VW agreed to reduce the cost of parts by 60% so the cost with labour was £941.75 as opposed to £1670.35
Picked the car up yesterday and seems to be fine again, now to decide if it's best to get rid of it now or hang on to it ( the parts fitted come with a 2 year warranty)

Last edited:

stinky84

Well, wrote a nice letter to customer services at VW detailing the failure of the mechatronic unit and mentioning the extended warranty on the DSG gearboxes in other countries and they have refunded the £941.75 paid so happy days :p

mrtotty

I'm glad I ordered a manual Golf.

The car I test drove was a 1.6 TDi DSG. It was satisfactory but there were some weird gear changes, such as changing up going uphill.

I don't like automatics anyway but the DSG didn't feel like one of the better ones. Good luck with all your problems.

sunguy

Well done stinky84! pleased you got your money back. I had a similar stinging VW (dealer) warranty experience but with DPF filter needing replacing under warranty, anyway to cut a long story short I wrote and polite but firm letter to VW UK and what do you know, they refunded all dealer charges totaling £987.00 so always worth writing - what have you got to lose.

Happy days...

Last edited:

kibby

Got rid of a Skoda Yeti because of the 7 Speed DSG issue. Yes, it had the oil change and ECU update and it made no improvement. Was reported to Dealer at 15000 miles (who did nothing as "can't replicate fault"), raised with Skoda UK
who advised to go back to the Dealer but "we can't do anything if it can't be replicated" At this stage their advice was to "see how it goes and monitor it"....until it blows up maybe...my words

In the end got rid of it as with Timing chain issues and out of warranty now was frightened to start it up without risking a
large bill.

Not a good experience. Final offer from Skoda was for us to foot the bill for
an engine and DSG strip down and they would then review the situation with regard any financial contribution.
You can imagine what response that got.
Less than impressed and my one and only Skoda experience.

Yes we now have a Golf SV DSG but with a 5 year factory warranty and up to now
the DSG has been miles better and faultless, so it must have been nothing to do with learning
driving style as same driver, same driving style and pattern of use. Let's hope we are not suckers for punishment.

Last edited:

HappyChappie

Hi everyone,

In reading this thread with a high level of interest as I'm considering buying a Polo GTI or Blue GT with a DSG box and following springs to mind. In the early parts of this tale of woe a reference is made to the Honest John Telegraph article which says the following

"The UK's recall of 2012-2013 seven-speed DSGs began in February. Last June, the VW Group called the editors of major motoring publications and websites to a meeting to tell them such a change would not be necessary here. And, in truth, I have not heard of many DSG Mechatronics systems fusing in the UK due to crystallisation of the synthetic oil. Prior to 2012, the transmissions were filled with mineral oil so the problem did not arise."

So my question is does the problems connected with the DSG units only happen on the older ones ( i.e pre 2014). I had a 6 speed DSG box in 2009 Skoda Octavia TDI VRS ( I appreciate this was a different beast to the new DSG box) and never had any issues with it so any thoughts and advice would be appreciated or should I just stick with a manual ?

thanks

Last edited:

alan mc

2014 skoda octavia dsg gearbox failed no warning at all cost £1500 to repair, the place where I had it repaired said he can have as many as 7 to10 per week, every where else has a recall on this box why not the uk?
CAR has only done 65000 miles