ABS/ESP/ fog and reverse light faults after flat battery (jump start)

ujlakigy

Hi,
As a Passat B6 owner I made a mistake (left lights on at an airpot parking), when returned 2 days later battery was flat, I had to use the emergency key and requested jump start.

From that time I have ABS/ESP lights on. The aft fog and reverse lights does not work, lights fault illuminates steady. The most interesting symptom when I open a driver door (RH) on the display the LH door has been shown as the open one! The aft doors indication is normal.

I checked all related fuses, they are fine. Checked both bulbs, not burnt out ! Disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, no change, remained all the same faults.

The ABS fault codes are:
- 01044 Control module incorrectly Coded
- 01299 Diagnostic Interface for Data Bus (J533)

OBDII codes:
- 01502 Bulb for left fog light
- 01376 Engine Speed signal for injection Pump.

May be I have an ECU software issue and the best place probably a VW retailer garage to make a diagnostic test/ troubleshoot the ECU software.

Had anybody similar problems ? Please share your experience.
Thank you.

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

The ABS fault codes are:
- 01044 Control module incorrectly Coded
- 01299 Diagnostic Interface for Data Bus (J533)

OBDII codes:
- 01502 Bulb for left fog light
- 01376 Engine Speed signal for injection Pump.

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

There are other symptoms for these codes.

VAG Error Code: 01044

Fault Location:
Control Module Incorrectly Coded - Intermittent

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Reduced Functionality.

Control Module incorrectly either not coded or incorrectly coded.

Possible Solutions:
Check Gateway Installation List.
Check/Fix Control Module Coding.
See Vehicle Specific Diagnostic Procedures for Details.

Special Notes:
When found in CAN-Gateway:
On a Long Coded module, use the Gateway Installation List to check for unreachable or not registered control modules.
Then update the Gateway [Installation List] by altering the Gateway Coding manually.
On a Short Coded modules, refresh the original coding with the same value. For example, code it from 00006 -to- 00006 without making an actual change.
When found in VW New Beetle/Cabriolet (1C/1Y/9C): Comfort System, this may be a Bug in the Control Module Software that will be resolved by refreshing the Coding with the same Value as described above with the CAN Gateway example.
When found in Brake Electronics (MK60EC1) while the Coding is NOT all Zeros, check the [19-CAN Gateway] > [Coding - 07].
An incorrect LHD/RHD Configuration may cause this Fault Code.
When found in the VW Passat (3B) Gateway Controller: Vehicles built through January 2000, the Gateway Software did not take in account for the ABS Controller. This fault code should be ignored. New Software was implemented after February 2000 that eliminated this fault code, however the coding should not be changed to add the ABS controller.

VAG Error Code: 01299

Fault Location:
Diagnostic Interface for Data Bus (J533) - No Signal/Communication/No or Incorrect Basic Setting/Adaptation/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Defective Control Module.
Check Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Memory.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).

Special Notes:
If the fault is only found in one control module, then most likely that module is the issue. However, if the fault is found several different control modules, then the CAN Gateway could be the issue.

VAG Error Code: 01502

Fault Location:
Fog-Lamp Bulb; Left (L46) - Electrical Fault in Circuit/Open Circuit/Short Circuit to Earth/Positive

Possible Cause:
Bulb for Fog-Lamp:
Bulb for Rear Fog; Left (L46) does not illuminate.

Fuse(s).
Wiring/Connector(s).
Failed or incorrect bulbs installed.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace Fuse(s).
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Verify correct light bulbs are installed.
Test wiring harness, see factory repair manual.

VAG Error Code: 01376

Fault Location:
RPM Signal for Injection Pump - No Signal

Possible Cause:
This fault message is stored if impulses are being transmitted by the engine speed sender but not by the the sender in the injection pump.
Engine cuts out.

Injection pump not turning.
Toothed belt for injection pump broken.
Check toothed belt and toothed belt sprocket.

VAG Error Code: 01376

Fault Location:
RPM Signal for Injection Pump - Defective

Possible Cause:
This fault message is stored if the speed sender in the injection pump is transmitting false signals or no signal at all.
Engine stops (safety cut-out).

Injection pump defective.
Renew injection pump .

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software

SpikyBob

Jump starts are for some reason not liked by VW's ! Was the other cars engine running or switched off? I would suggest disconnecting the battery (carefully!) and leaving it a minute or so and reconnecting, but you have done this already!

ujlakigy

Actually it was done by the parking customer service marshal and they used a portable battery jump starter.

ujlakigy

The issue has been sorted out by the control module software reloading

According to VW retailer garage probably the battery jump spiked and changed the control module and after restart it went to work in the continental (left hand drive) mode. This caused all the 5 symptoms I mentioned in my message ie.: showing the left side door open as it is the driver side in EU, the rear fog light and reverse lights are on the opposite side, and the ABS coding is different in a left-hand drive car.

The good news is after the software reload everything worked fine.
The lesson I learned do not leave the lights on if you do not want to pay hundred quid to fix it.