Adventures with the mk7.5 Infotainment System

lightbody

Hi,

As well as being a car-geek, I am also a tech-geek, and work in IT. I thought I would share my experience of fully learning the infotainment system in my 67 plate GTi, which I bought in November. I wanted to learn about the built-in technology as far as possible, rather than just using Android Auto / Apple Carplay, because there is some good functionality there that you lose if you just plug in your phone via App Connect. Also because of the Covid lockdown, the car is spending a lot of time sitting outside the front door, so there's been time to fiddle with it!

Car-Net & Car Stick - Previous owner had never activated this, but the subscription that comes new with the car ran out not long after I got it (at 3 years old). I bought a subscription from VW, and a genuine car stick from ebay, and a pre-paid SIM from Vodafone, and eventually got it all working nicely. I have News (8 RSS feeds), weather with forecasts, live traffic info, petrol prices and one of my favourite things - I can send a destination to the car from my phone, and its waiting for me when I start up.
Also the car can use the Carstick to create a mobile wifi hotspot which is nice, then you can use the Media Connect app on your phone to control the head unit. Very clever indeed.
Main annoyance with this whole setup is that the car only has one USB socket, which needs the carstick permanently in it. Also sometimes when you start the car up from cold, Car-net just doesn't work until you either reboot the head unit, or restart the car.

Navigation Maps fully updated to 2021 - this really is a skoosh, especially after you've done it once. Download the Zip file, extract the Maps folder, and replace the one on your current SD card. The previous owner had never done it. I enjoy having the map on the active display in front of the driver. I believe Car-Net can also update the maps, but I'm not too clear about how this works. This only works on a genuine VW SD Card - I'd love to understand how it knows its a VW card!

Speed Cameras Update - used www.speedcamupdates.com to add speed cameras. Very neat indeed. Will be very useful once lockdown is ended - again so this is in front of the drive on the active display.

SD Card music - my car has the Dynaudio speakers - which sound outstanding to me. I wanted to give them something high quality as a source. CDs sound incredible, but so do does high-quality digital music files from the SD card. This lives in Slot 1 now, and has all my favourite music on it. I know most people now probably don't have a digital music collection like this, but I still do, so might as well use it. To my ears, it sounds better than either bluetooth-based audio, or my wired Android Auto phone using high quality Spotify streaming. Its also very easy to get to the album or artist you want, or just to shuffle the whole thing.

Radio Station Logos - This had to be done! All presets now have their logos in place.

I think VW did well with this system. It works well generally, and feels fast to use.

Ad1075

Do you have any pictures of the speed cameras on the Active Info display? How would I go about doing it?!

lightbody

Hi,

I've attached some pics to illustrate my original post above. The last two show me approaching a speed camera, and then on the main Nav screen a zoomed out version with all the speed cameras in the area. The speedcamera in between the dials is hard to miss I'd say.

- Rob

Attachments

• IMG_20210220_182604.jpg
    IMG_20210220_182604.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210220_182629.jpg
    IMG_20210220_182629.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210220_182644.jpg
    IMG_20210220_182644.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210220_182706.jpg
    IMG_20210220_182706.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20210221_182156.jpg
    IMG_20210221_182156.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20210221_182327.jpg
    IMG_20210221_182327.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 1

bertj

Each to his own but I'm afraid I can't share your enthusiasm for CarNet. My wife bought a 'run out' 7.5 GT Edition Estate that has 3 years free CarNet but without a CarStick so it relies on a mobile as a hotspot. If there were both of us in the car with two mobiles CarNet got very confused. Other times we had to reset the hotspot because CarNet couldn't find it. Plus, of course the inane 'welcoming' and 'goodbye' messages when it did connect . We'll probably give it another go when (if!) lockdown etc. finishes.