All season tyres

jamesn89

Hi,

I hope someone can give me some advice!

I'm trying to find some all season tyres that will fit my Passat alltrack, it has 225/45 R18 tyres fitted, which are the standard size for the car, however the only brand I can find is Vredestein Quatrac 5 which make tyres of that size. It will cost around £600 to fit a set of these, although I will have to order them online and have them fitted at an independent tyre fitter

I will be using the car for mountaineering in Scotland which will include driving on icy / snowy roads in winter occasionally. I'd prefer not to go for full winter tyres as I would then need another set for the summer!

So the question is should I go for these allseason tyres or get some good summer tyres like Pirelli Cinturato P7 and hope that along with the 4wd these will do the job, maybe invest in some chains / snow socks? Or could I get something like the Nokian WR D4 winter tyres and use them all year round, (I live in glasgow so the temperature is rarely very warm and it's often very wet!)

Cheers

James

Last edited:

SpikyBob

How about Michelin CrossClimate? Just priced some the other day in this size KwikFit price £120 each. VW dealerships have an offer, price beating this.

jamesn89

Michelin CrossClimates look like a good option however they don't make a 225/45 R18 tyre, the closest is 225/40 R18 which I have been advised against fitting? Any thoughts on fitting a different sized tyre to the original?

SpikyBob

Yes that's correct! Just checked - I was looking at 40 section as you say. Shame, as they would have been a good compromise......
You are best off avoiding the different profile. Have you spoken to a dealership about this - they may be able to help, offer a solution or maybe have some winter wheels about. I was almost about to buy a set for my Golf last year £450 for a set of four VW alloys with Snow Contact tyres fitted, I gambled on a mild winter and was ok, just using snow socks on a couple of occasions. Which were very good tbh!

jamesn89

I went into my local dealer a week ago, however they weren't able to give a good alternative. I've used snow socks before on my old fabia, despite getting out of difficulty using them it was a fairly hairy drive in comparison to a friend who was driving a 4wd x trail with decent all season tyres on it.

Any thoughts on the Vredestein Quatrac 5 or Kleber Quadraxer? as these are the only options I can find!