Anoying Humming Noise

RedBull1985

Hi All

Sorry i know this is an old post. My car is currently with VW today. ive had my 2.0 tdi 2013 MK7 Golf for 3 months and this humming noise is starting to drive me mad! The mechanic drove it around the block and said he couldn't hear anything unusual but obviously I wasn’t satisfied with this so I’ve left the car with them to investigate. Previously Ive owned a tdi jetta and an audi a3 tdi and these were fine.

Im not confident that they will attempt to fix it, if not It will be a shame to change the car but I think I’ll have to.

Have you had any luck since Jacko?

RedBull1985

Hi All

Sorry i know this is an old post. My car is currently with VW today. ive had my 2.0 tdi 2013 MK7 Golf for 3 months and this humming noise is starting to drive me mad! The mechanic drove it around the block and said he couldn't hear anything unusual but obviously I wasn’t satisfied with this so I’ve left the car with them to investigate. Previously Ive owned a tdi jetta and an audi a3 tdi and these were fine.

Im not confident that they will attempt to fix it, if not It will be a shame to change the car but I think I’ll have to.

Have you had any luck since Jacko?

So ive had a call back from the garage and to no surprise they've found nothing wrong, im told they compared it to another golf as well and it was the same. very frustrating

RedBull1985

constant humming from about 1000rpm. Happens in neutral and in any gear, the tone never changes, can only be heard from the inside and mostly when sat in drivers seat. all the symptoms in this thread are relevant

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
You could do with doing what they have done and sample another identical car. I sympathise with you though, on a similar but unrelated note I spent a lot of money on a fancy TV a few years ago, before the prices came tumbling down, and it had an irritating extremely high frequency ringing noise coming from its rear when bright images were on the screen but no one else could hear it and it drove me mad so I had to send it back and the replacement was fine and has been since.

T willias

Thanks Crasher, Yes i appreciate without hearing it that it would be hard for an on line diagnosis, but if other people had similar problems than i would accept it as characteristic.
If i had to describe the noise i would compare it as like a small electric motor running, fuel pump or similar.
Maybe if other owners of the Golf mk7 1.6 DSG could add there imput as to whether they had a similar noise as i descibed or no noise.
If no one else seems to have this noise then it maybe that it is a fault with the car and not characteristic.

Jacko
Hi i have the same problem only had the car 3 weeks going back in next week to look at it. If this is a characteristic part of the car then its a danger as motorway driving it is a big distraction and unsafe as gives me a constant headache

Stewk

Hi I have just bought 2018vw amarok drives great but has a really annoying humming noise can anybody help hears hoping stew

Mytzu

Thanks Crasher, Yes i appreciate without hearing it that it would be hard for an on line diagnosis, but if other people had similar problems than i would accept it as characteristic.
If i had to describe the noise i would compare it as like a small electric motor running, fuel pump or similar.
Maybe if other owners of the Golf mk7 1.6 DSG could add there imput as to whether they had a similar noise as i descibed or no noise.
If no one else seems to have this noise then it maybe that it is a fault with the car and not characteristic.

Jacko
Hi Jacko.
My mk7 1.6 started to sound as a van mostly when accelerating as well

Herewego

I'm not sure about the humming but my golf estate mk7 1.6 Tdi sounds like a moped on steroids above 40mph. On the motorway it sounds like I'm driving an F1 racing car. I'm not sure if it's always been this way but I got it at about 139,000 miles and it's around 150,000 now. Should have a lot of life in it, and it drives absolutely fine, no issues at all very responsive. It's just the engine is so loud. I've been using the V-power diesel from Shell which gives me better mileage and the car hardly ever has to do the auto-clean with that fuel, whereas if I use regular diesel it self cleans after every few drives and drains a load more fuel in the process. Anyway, the V power not only has cleaning compounds but is also high octane fuel. Not sure if this has had an effect? Is my engine just too clean and efficient? Had MOT and interim service last Jan, and I was expecting garage to highlight any issues but they said nothing. Not sure if I've become paranoid but my wife also has commented on the noise so not just me.....but has it always been this way?

dervdave

Hi, I have recently bought a 63 reg Mk7 Golf BlueMotion 1.6 TDI DSG with 11.000 miles on the clock.
Can anyone help me with an issue i have with the car.

When i start up the car everything is fine but when i touch the accelerator and reach about 1200 rpm there is a constent humming noise take my foot of the accelerator and it disappears.
Is it like the hum you get from a fuel pump ?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Diesel fuel volatility is measured in Cetane not Octane, Shell V Power is near miraculous in the way it makes both petrol and Diesel engines cars run better. It is difficult to advise based on a noise, from what Dave asked, as I can read his thought processes, could you message me your REG in a private conversation please?

Herewego

Diesel fuel volatility is measured in Cetane not Octane, Shell V Power is near miraculous in the way it makes both petrol and Diesel engines cars run better. It is difficult to advise based on a noise, from what Dave asked, as I can read his thought processes, could you message me your REG in a private conversation please?
Ah thanks for the correction on the fuel.
I've been trying to figure out patterns to the humming, and I would say it's more something resonating (is that the same thing?). It really gets worrying at 60mph and above. Then I can feel a gentle vibration in the pedal and very slightly on the wheel.
Could be a wheel bearing, or one of the bearings in the belt systems?
I'm going to get the garage to do a diagnostic drive and see what they think.

dervdave

I've been trying to figure out patterns to the humming, and I would say it's more something resonating (is that the same thing?). It really gets worrying at 60mph and above. Then I can feel a gentle vibration in the pedal and very slightly on the wheel.
Could be a wheel bearing, or one of the bearings in the belt systems?
Definitely a wheel bearing in your case

Sikin

Hi, I have recently bought a 63 reg Mk7 Golf BlueMotion 1.6 TDI DSG with 11.000 miles on the clock.
Can anyone help me with an issue i have with the car.

When i start up the car everything is fine but when i touch the accelerator and reach about 1200 rpm there is a constent humming noise take my foot of the accelerator and it disappears.
When i am driving in town it is quite annoying, but at faster speeds the road and tyre noise tends to over ride it.
I have taken it in to VW dealership and they tried to tell me it was a characteristic of the car.

I hope this is not the case as this spoils what is otherwise a very nice car to drive. :cry:

Jacko
Just an update having had a similar problem and having read this thread. I also had a really annoying engine hum/whine above about 1,000 rpm on a 2013 1.6 Bluemotion Tdi. It went into VW under warranty and the mechanic could hear it quite clearly. I mentioned the turbo isolation solenoid that I'd heard about and they basically said that you can't believe everything you read on the internet. However - when they investigated it turned out it was this! They changed it and now the engine is quiet! Thanks Forum!!