ATD engine aux belt tensioner pulley

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Ridex, JP and a few other companies do them for about £10 but personally the complete unit by Febi at £25 is a better idea. If you search the the complete unit VW part number 038 903 315 AE you will get plenty of choices. Failure of the tensioner is often due to the alternator one way clutch failing so the tensioner dances around and makes a nasty rattle when the steering is on lock.

diyspanner

T50 socket on the alternator shaft is chewed so my T50 bit won't hold it nor with a hex bit when tapped in.

Any tips for locking the shaft so I can loosen the pulley?

diyspanner

Maybe is M10 but a YT video and tool listing on ebay say T50 so if a M10, using a T50 is why its now chewed. Damn!

Looks like I'll have to get the mini grinder out and gently persuade if off.

diyspanner

Its off the car now as well as the tensioner which I'm replacing too.

So can an air gun can get the pulley off without having to locking the shaft?

diyspanner

Can the alternator shaft be locked in anyway apart from using the shaft socket end, now chewed?

I presume the fins will be too weak to hold it?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I think you are going to be looking for an exchnage Bosch alternator, it may be possible to shock it off and the new one on with an air gun but not hand tools.

diyspanner

I called a local auto sparky and told him the bother. He said to dismantle the alternator and grip the shaft in a vice.

I did the dismantle but used a chain oil filter wrench to grip the rotor and managed to loosen the old pulley, then fit and tighten the new one. Have done about 12 miles today and all seems well.